Injection Therapy for Pain Relief
Injection therapy (commonly known as cortisone or steroid injections) allows therapists to deliver potent medicine directly to sites of inflammation and pain. Depending on the patient and the condition being treated, the slow-release steroid takes approximately 2-4 weeks to take full effect and may last for months or longer.
Who is injection therapy suitable for?
Injection therapy typically provides temporary pain relief for soft tissue and joint pain.
It's commonly used as part of a treatment plan for joint conditions like arthritis and bursitis. You may also benefit from injection therapy if common oral painkillers are not helping to manage your pain.
Injection therapy is not a standalone treatment. A combination of injection therapy, physiotherapy treatment and lifestyle changes are often recommended to manage your pain. At Nuffield Health, we provide fast access to our network of medical experts if you need additional support or treatment.
What happens during the procedure?
- Your injection therapist will clean the skin around the injection site with antiseptic.
- A needle is gently inserted into the affected area and the solution is then injected through the needle.
- You'll probably feel some pressure when the needle is inserted, but most injections are relatively painless.
- As the injection contains anaesthetic, you should feel instant relief.
What happens after?
- Once your therapist has examined you post-injection, you'll be able to go home.
- You can drive home within 30 minutes of having the injection, but if you feel light headed you may wish to take public transport or have somebody drive you.
- You will need a period of 'relative rest' for 48 hours post-injection.
- Around 28 days after your injection, your therapist will contact you for a telephone review to see how you're getting on.
- Your therapist will then recommend next steps which may include another injection.
Where is injection therapy available?
We offer injection therapy at the following Nuffield Health locations:
Please contact your nearest site to book an appointment
An initial assessment plus 1 injection costs £99
Email us or request a call back
A member of the team will respond to you soon.