This is a non-surgical, minimally invasive technique for men with Peyronie’s Disease. It involves injecting a medical substance called collagenase directly into the scar tissue, which can cause the penile curvature.
Is intralesional collagenase injection therapy right for me?
So that you know exactly what to expect from the results of this therapy, we encourage you to share your expectations with your consultant as early as possible. This should help you to establish a clear indication of what is realistically achievable.
To give yourself time to decide what’s right for you, we recommend you leave at least 2 weeks between your consultation and booking your procedure.
What does intralesional collagenase injection therapy involve?
The procedure takes place in an outpatient setting and generally takes less than 15 minutes to perform.
You'll need an initial consultation to assess the degree of curvature and point of maximum curvature.
You'll be given an injection to create an erection to allow the consultant to perform the measurements.
Second and third appointments
You'll have two more outpatient appointments within 7 days of each other.
During each of these appointments, the consultant will inject collagenase directly into the scar tissue. To do this, they'll need to stretch your penis manually.
The consultant will advise you on how to use a vacuum constriction device following your second injection.
Recovery from intralesional collagenase injection therapy
After your first collagenase injection, you'll experience some discomfort, swelling and bruising. After the second injection, you may find you have bruising for up to a week.
Managing your recovery at home
You'll be able to drive yourself home after the procedure.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure you recover well once you get home:
- The consultant will have applied a pressure bandage to your penis – keep this in place for around 6 hours post injection
- Try to elevate your penis with padding or gauze to ease swelling and bruising
- Take over-the-counter painkillers to ease discomfort
- Use the vacuum constriction device as advised
- You should avoid having penetrative sex for 6 weeks, but having erections during this time is advised.
When will I notice results?
Some men have reported seeing results within the first few weeks of the intralesional collagenase injection therapy. For the majority of men, up to 3 courses of treatment may be needed to achieve the desired result.
If you see a dramatic improvement, you'll be advised to continue with vacuum therapy to maintain the results. If you don't respond at all to the therapy, we'll offer surgery as an alternative.
Side effects of intralesional collagenase injection therapy
There are a few minor side effects associated with this procedure.
Common side effects include:
- A small collection of blood under the skin at the injection site (hematoma)
- Swelling at the injection site or along your penis
- Pain or tenderness at the injection site, along your penis and above your penis
- Penis bruising
- Itching of your penis or scrotum (genitals)
- Painful erection.
Less common effects include:
- Erection problems (erectile dysfunction)
- Changes in the colour of the skin of your penis
- Blisters at the injection site
- Pain with sex
- A lump at the injection site (nodule)
- Future recurrence of the condition.
Make sure you discuss any concerns you have about these side effects with your consultant.
Ways to pay
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more