Across our family of 31 UK private hospitals, we've performed many successful hernia repairs. Get rapid access to treatment at your local Nuffield Health hospital and choose your own specialist consultant.
Why choose Nuffield Health for your hernia repair?
Hernia repair surgery at Nuffield Health is like nowhere else. We’ll support you every step of the way, making sure you get the best treatment and encouraging a speedy recovery. We offer you:
- Competitive all-inclusive pricing
- Quick access to treatment
- Exceptional matron-led care
- First-class patient accommodation
- Flexible visiting hours
- An in-depth Health MOT before your surgery
- As much aftercare as you need at no extra cost, where clinically required.
What types of hernia can you repair?
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
Hernia unilateral (inguinal or femoral)
This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body.
In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall.
More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin. Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg. These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery?
We offer 2 types of hernia repair surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
Open hernia surgery
- Open repair surgery takes about 1 hour
- A variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your Nuffield Health surgeon will make an incision (cut) in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case meaning you can go home the day of the procedure.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) hernia surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The surgery takes about 1 hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend one night in hospital.
How fast is the recovery after hernia surgery?
- Recovery time for hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the operation and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant will inform you of any specific "dos and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and surgery.
Are there any risks?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a small risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
Wrexham Road, Chester, CH4 7QP
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
25 Beaconsfield Road, Glasgow, G12 0PJ
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Burrell Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1UD
Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DF
Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP4 5SW
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, LE5 1HY
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 4DB
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 9DP
Staplegrove Elm, Taunton, TA2 6AN
Junction Road, Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PX
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
Shores Road, Woking, GU21 4BY
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Get in touch
Fill in an enquiry form below or call us
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Many hernias won’t cause immediate pain or problems, but they can present a real risk if left untreated. Here’s how to spot a hernia and what to do next.