A vasectomy is meant to be a permanent form of male contraception. However due to a change in circumstances it may be that you and your partner decide you want your vasectomy reversed.
What happens during vasectomy reversal?
- Vasectomy reversal is performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between an hour and an hour and a half
- During a vasectomy the vas deferen tubes are cut preventing sperm from leaving the epididymis (storage area)
- To reverse this procedure your surgeon will locate the site of your vasectomy
- They will usually make cuts on each side of your scrotum
- After examining each testicle they will free up the tubes and remove any scar tissue
- Using a special microscope they will stitch the ends of the tubes back together
- They will close the surgical wounds with stitches.
After vasectomy reversal
You should be able to go home the day of your procedure but you should arrange for someone to drive you.
Take over the counter pain relief such as Paracetamol if you have any discomfort. You should avoid any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks after your surgery. Gentle walking may speed your recovery. Please discuss any return to work with your consultant.
About 6-8 weeks after your surgery you will need to return to our clinic to give a semen sample. We will examine the sample for sperm. If no sperm are present or your sperm count is very low we may ask you to return for another test at a later date.
Every surgical procedure has a risk of complications. Be sure and discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
General complications could include:
- Infection in the surgical wound
Specific complications of vasectomy reversal:
- Long term pain
- Bleeding within the scrotum
- Damage to blood vessel
- Scar tissue causing the tubes to block
- Failure to restore fertility.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Get in touch
Fill in an enquiry form below or call us
A member of the team will respond to you soon.