A vasectomy is meant to be a permanent form of male contraception. However due to a change in circumstances it may be that you and your partner decide you want your vasectomy reversed.
What happens during vasectomy reversal?
- Vasectomy reversal is performed under general anaesthetic and usually takes between an hour and an hour and a half
- During a vasectomy the vas deferen tubes are cut preventing sperm from leaving the epididymis (storage area)
- To reverse this procedure your surgeon will locate the site of your vasectomy
- They will usually make cuts on each side of your scrotum
- After examining each testicle they will free up the tubes and remove any scar tissue
- Using a special microscope they will stitch the ends of the tubes back together
- They will close the surgical wounds with stitches.
After vasectomy reversal
You should be able to go home the day of your procedure but you should arrange for someone to drive you.
Take over the counter pain relief such as Paracetamol if you have any discomfort. You should avoid any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks after your surgery. Gentle walking may speed your recovery. Please discuss any return to work with your consultant.
About 6-8 weeks after your surgery you will need to return to our clinic to give a semen sample. We will examine the sample for sperm. If no sperm are present or your sperm count is very low we may ask you to return for another test at a later date.
Every surgical procedure has a risk of complications. Be sure and discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
General complications could include:
- Infection in the surgical wound
Specific complications of vasectomy reversal:
- Long term pain
- Bleeding within the scrotum
- Damage to blood vessel
- Scar tissue causing the tubes to block
- Failure to restore fertility.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavey Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, GL51 6SY
Wrexham Road, Chester, CH4 7QP
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Burrell Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1UD
Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DF
Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP4 5SW
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, LE5 1HY
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 4DB
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 9DP
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
Shores Road, Woking, GU21 4BY
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Get in touch
Fill in an enquiry form below or call us
A member of the team will respond to you soon.