Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty)
An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of your abdomen (stomach). It may involve removing excess skin and fat and tightening the abdominal muscles.
Is an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) right for me?
Sometimes the skin of the abdomen does not shrink back after pregnancy or after losing a lot of weight. You are most likely to benefit from an abdominoplasty if you are self-conscious about what your abdomen looks like. Abdominoplasty is not appropriate for people who are over weight or as an attempt to lose weight.
Your Nuffield Health surgeon will carry out a detailed assessment before deciding if tummy tuck surgery is suitable for you. So that you know exactly what to expect from the results of this surgery, we encourage you to share your expectations with your consultant as early as possible. This should help you to establish a clear indication of what is realistically achievable with this procedure.
To give yourself time to reach the right decision, you should make sure you leave at least two weeks between your consultation and surgery.
Your surgeon may use one of several surgical techniques:
This operation is performed under a general anaesthetic and usually takes between 2 - 5 hours.
- Full abdominoplasty - is suitable if you have a lot of excess skin. Your surgeon will make a curved cut from one hip to the other. They will remove any excess skin and fat. Your surgeon will then cut under the skin above your umbilicus (belly button), pulling it downwards and tightening it. Sometimes they will need to reconstruct your umbilicus and tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall
- Mini abdominoplasty - is suitable if you only have a little excess skin. Your surgeon will only need to make a small cut just above the pubic area to remove the excess skin
- Endoscopic abdominoplasty - is suitable if you only need to have the muscles of your abdominal wall tightened. Your surgeon will make small cuts and use special surgical instruments to tighten the muscles.
Expert surgeons at Nuffield Health
Choosing the right consultant is an important part of the process; you can see Nuffield Health’s registered cosmetic surgeons here.
Preparing for surgery
Follow these tips to help prepare for an abdominoplasty:
- For smokers, the risk of complications can be reduced if smoking is stopped several weeks before the operation is due to take place
- Regular exercise should help to prepare you for the operation, but ask the healthcare team or your GP for advice first
- The area around where you will be cut should not be shaved or waxed for seven days prior to the operation.
Going home after abdominoplasty surgery
- The length of your hospital stay depends on which procedure is performed
- With a full abdominoplasty you should be able to go home after 2 - 3 days
- You may have dressings and drains (plastic tubes) coming out of both sides of your abdomen
- The drains area usually removed before you leave hospital
- You will be given post operative pain killers
- Most patients are mobile from day one and return to normal activities within 6 weeks
- You may be able to return to work in 2 weeks, providing your work isn’t too physically strenuous.
- You should wait at least 6 weeks before lifting anything heavy
- You should not have sex until 3 weeks after surgery (and then it should be gentle)
- Be sure and discuss your return to work with your surgeon
- The results of an abdominoplasty improve gradually over the first 6 months post surgery
- For the most successful outcomes you should keep to a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
What complications can happen?
Every surgical procedure has a risk of complications. Be sure and discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
How long will results last?
The need for a repeat abdominoplasty can be avoided if you manage to maintain a healthy weight. Should you put on, and then lose, a lot of weight you may find yourself with excess abdomen skin, which could need a repeat abdominoplasty.
Pain from surgery
Post surgery pain is usually mild and easily controlled with simple painkillers (such as paracetamol). You may experience more pain if your surgeon had to tighten your abdominal muscles.
General complications of any operation may include:
- Infection in a surgical wound
- Blood clots
- Unsightly scarring
Specific complications of tummy tuck may include:
- Developing a swelling
- Numbness or persistent pain
- Cosmetic problems
Tummy tuck surgery cost
The cost of tummy tuck surgery may be more affordable than you think. To find out more about the cost of treatment, complete the form below and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Our prices are inclusive of all costs and have no hidden surprises. You have the option to pay for your procedure as a one off payment or if preferred, you may be eligible for a loan.
We are confident that the price for your abdominoplasty treatment at Nuffield Health will be competitive and we are proud to deliver outstanding clinical care at a fair price.
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
Wrexham Road, Chester, CH4 7QP
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
25 Beaconsfield Road, Glasgow, G12 0PJ
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DF
Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP4 5SW
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, LE5 1HY
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 9DP
Staplegrove Elm, Taunton, TA2 6AN
Junction Road, Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PX
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
Shores Road, Woking, GU21 4BY
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Get in touch
Fill in an enquiry form below or call us
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
To achieve the best results from any type of plastic surgery, whether it is breast enhancement, liposuction, a face lift or tummy tuck, it is important to do your research first. Mr Darren Lewis provides some tips for what to ask before surgery.