The MSK clinic at The Manchester Institute of Health and Performance is dedicated to diagnosing and optimising the treatment of a full range of musculoskeletal injuries, as well as reducing the development and impact of conditions like osteoarthritis.
We take a multidisciplinary approach with leading experts in physiotherapy, sports medicine, orthopaedics, radiology and rehabilitation. The consultant-led team includes senior physiotherapists experienced in sports injuries, joint replacement and preservation, and surgical rehabilitation, as well as top consultants with specialist knowledge on each part of the body.
Our clinicians fully understand the impact of injury in elite sports, and are committed to supporting clients in recovery and the pursuit of performance goals.
What we can help you with
- Sports injuries
- Joint conditions such as osteoarthritis
- Pain or injury associated with muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints or bones
- Persistent pain conditions such as chronic lower back or neck pain
- Pre- and post-operative care including guidance on surgical vs conservative management strategies
- Injury prevention and injury risk reduction
- Second opinion for musculoskeletal conditions
- Women’s health (including ante- and post-natal)
- Overuse injuries and overtraining syndromes in sport, such as RED-S (relative energy deficiency in sport) and female athlete triad (low energy, menstrual dysfunction, and low body mass index).
- Complete physical examination
- Full range of diagnostics, such as X-ray, MRI, CT, ultrasound, DEXA, blood tests
- Strength and functional testing including isokinetic dynamometry
- Strength and conditioning assessments
- Video gait assessments including 3D motion capture.
- Medication and injections
- Guidance regarding training or exercise, diet, sleep and other lifestyle factors
- Rehabilitation programming, strength and conditioning, and functional retraining
- Shockwave therapy
- AlterG anti-gravity treadmill
- Referral for other specialist assessments as required.
How to prepare for your appointment
Please wear clothing that will allow your clinician to see the injury site and surrounding areas. If you’re having a full physical assessment, including movement and exercise tests, wear suitable sports clothing.
Please bring all previous medical documents including imaging reports and images, any referral letters, as well as a list of any current medication.