Hernia repair surgery in Newcastle
By identifying your hernia and discussing the most effective surgical options available, our experienced general surgeons based at Nuffield Health Newcastle Hospital can provide you with a individually tailored treatment plan. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £150|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£3,550|
The price displayed for your initial consultation is a guideline only as Consultant fees vary according to their own individual fee schedules. The price displayed above however for pre-assessment, main treatment and post-discharge care is guaranteed and inclusive of all costs.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our hernia experts in Newcastle
Fill in a contact form, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Why choose Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital for my hernia repair?
At Nuffield Health Newcastle Hospital our specialist consultants are experts in practicing hernia repair, regularly exceeding patient expectations with their minimally invasive techniques and professional practice.
For over 40 years, we've been providing people in the North East with the highest standards of private healthcare. We have recently invested heavily in our hospital, offering state-of-the-art medical equipment, as well as exceptional patient facilities.
Patients receive a personal and efficient service at our hospital which is conveniently located in the suburb of Jesmond, just five minutes away from Newcastle's city centre. You'll see the same consultant throughout your treatment journey and If you need to stay overnight, you'll have your very own private bedroom with a TV and en-suite bathroom.
Our matron-led team of nurses will offer you full care and support throughout your hospital stay. You can rest assured that you are in the best possible hands for treatment as everything from your initial consultation, through to any aftercare, is included in your treatment package.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital
If you are interested in going private for your hernia repair treatment and skipping the waiting lists, you will need to book an initial consultation with one of our general surgeons in Newcastle. To book, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team in Newcastle on 0191 281 6131.
What types of hernias can you repair?
There are two common types of hernias that we can repair. Hernia bilateral and Hernia unilateral.
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body.
In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall.
More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin. Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg. These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery?
We offer two types of hernia repair surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Open repair surgery takes about one hour and a variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your surgeon will make an incision (cut) in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It takes about an hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend one night in hospital.
How fast is the recovery after hernia surgery?
- Recovery from hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the procedure and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant will inform you of any specific "do's and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and surgery.
Are there any risks?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a small risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon in Newcastle.
Many hernias won’t cause immediate pain or problems, but they can present a real risk if left untreated. Here’s how to spot a hernia and what to do next.