After graduating from Manchester University, Mr Briggs trained in orthopaedic surgery in the North East, the USA and Germany. He was appointed as a consultant in 1994, developing a specialist interest in foot and ankle reconstructive surgery. He introduced the modern generation of ankle joint replacements to Newcastle in 2000. He has an international reputation for his work in rheumatoid arthritis of the foot, and is well known for his expertise with problems associated with diabetes, and neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis and stroke.
Mr Briggs’ main research interests are in the structure and function of the foot. With over 30 publications and book chapters and research prizes, he is regularly invited to national and international conferences and educational meetings for his expertise. He was the first British orthopaedic surgeon to be awarded the prestigious Austrian-Swiss-German Fellowship in 2004. He is currently developing new surgical techniques in reconstruction of the forefoot.
Mr Briggs was the Director of Orthopaedic Training in the North of England from 1999 to 2004. He served on the Education Committee of the British Orthopaedic Association, and was Secretary then chairman of the Education Committee of the British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. He is a past editor of The Foot journal.
Patients with foot and ankle disorders often require the services of a number of professionals. Mr Briggs has developed a multidisciplinary team with the aim of providing comprehensive care, including biomechanics specialists, nurse practitioner, orthotists and physiotherapists. Close working relationships with other specialists such as rheumatologists, neurologists, diabetes physicians and pain specialists is also very important. The goal is to provide the best possible care for all patients with foot and ankle problems.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Peter Briggs at Nuffield Health
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Tendon transfer in foot and ankle
- Fusion of big toe
- Subtalar fusion
- Ankle ligament repair
- Flat foot correction
- Bone Graft
- Toe surgery
- Achilles repair or reconstruction
- Keller's arthroplasty
- Subtalar arthroscopy
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Tibial osteotomy
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle fusion
- Toe joint fusion
- Hallux Valgus Surgery
- Ankle replacement
- Is pulsed shortwave diathermy better than ice therapy for reduction of oedema following calcaneal fractures? Preliminary trial. BM Buzzard, RK Pratt, PJ Briggs, MS Siddique, A Tasker, S Robinson. Physiotherapy 2003; 89: 734-742.
- Reconstruction of the Rheumatoid Forefoot: The Stainsby Operation, PJ Briggs,Techniques in Orthopaedics 2003; 18: 303-310.
- Distal ligamentous restraints of the first metatarsal. An in vitro biomechanical study. F-M Khaw, P Mak, GR Johnson, PJ Briggs. Clinical Biomechanics 2005; 20: 653-658.
- The structure and function of the foot in relation to injury, PJ Briggs. Current Orthopaedics 2005; 19: 85-93.
- Tension band fixation for triple arthrodesis. A technique report, C Young, PJ Briggs. Foot and Ankle Surgery 2007; 13: 15-18.
- Morton’s neuroma. PJ Briggs. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2006; 76(2): 68-71.
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- British Limb Reconstruction Society
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- British Medical Association
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- Honorary Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead
Mr Peter Briggs does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Peter Briggs does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Peter Briggs does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.