Dr Dahabra is a Consultant Psychiatrist with extensive experience in the assessment and treatment of eating disorders in adults. She retired from the NHS in 2016 having lead the Newcastle regional eating disorders service for the previous 18 years as the Consultant Psychiatrist and Lead Clinician. Having trained as a physician before swapping to psychiatry, she has particular interest in the physical complications of eating disorders and was co-author of a national guideline for management of patients with severe anorexia nervosa (MARSIPAN). She also has an interest in the co-morbidity of eating disorders in patients with Type 1 Diabetes. She holds a postgraduate certificate in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (Durham University).
Eating Disorders Psychiatry.
Medicolegal and Occupational Health Psychiatry Reports.
Walking, Reading, Art, Theatre and Cinema
English, Arabic (native speaker)
1.Co-author, Medical Management of Really Sick Patients with Anorexia Nervosa, College Report 162, Royal College of Psychiatrists, October 2010. Updated 2014.
2. Dahabra, S. Treatment of enduring eating disorders. MIMS Women’s Health, Vol 6, No 2, 2011
3. BEAT Eating Disorder International Conference March 2012: Master -class on Medical Aspects of Eating Disorders
4. Editor, the NHS Choices webpage on Bulimia Nervosa (2012) and Binge Eating Disorder (2013)
5.Mitchell, S, Walton, N, Bash, M, Lawler, A, Robinson, L, Dahabra, S Reliability of assessment of nutritional intake on an inpatient eating disorders unit Poster, Royal College of Psychiatrists Eating Disorders Section’s Annual Conference, November 2012.
6. Sylvia Dahabra and Paul Robinson, Chapter 4, The Role of the Psychiatric Team in management of severe anorexia nervosa, Critical Care for Anorexia Nervosa, Springer, 2015
7. Sandeep Reelh, Sylvia Dahabra. Fitness to Drive in patients with eating disorders: current practice in the UK. Poster, Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of Eating Disorders Annual Scientific Conference, November 2015.
Other post held
- Retired from NHS 2016
Dr Sylvia Dahabra does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Sylvia Dahabra does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Sylvia Dahabra does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.