Hernia repair surgery in York
If you are experiencing groin/lower abdomen pain, then you might be suffering from a hernia. At Nuffield Health York Hospital our expert general surgeons specialise in all types of hernia removal surgery and can recommend the most effective treatment for you. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£2,600|
The guide price
stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price
may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any
pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway.
You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following
your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our general surgery experts in York
Fill in a contact form, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Why choose Nuffield Health York Hospital for your hernia repair surgery?
At Nuffield Health York Hospital our leading general surgeons can help remove your painful, unwanted hernias through a range of minimally invasive procedures. Depending on the size and location of your hernia, our consultants will provide you with a treatment plan which utilises the most effective and least invasive hernia repair technique.
By choosing Nuffield Health York Hospital for your hernia repair surgery, you can rest assured that you are in the best hands possible for treatment. Our state-of-the-art hospital located on Haxby Road has been proving first-class care to patients across Yorkshire for a number of years.
Having hernia repair surgery can often lead to an overnight stay in hospital to recover. Whilst you're admitted, our attentive matron led nursing team will ensure that you're comfortable and stress free. Patients recovering from treatment will be provided with their very own private room which includes a TV, radio, free WIFI and large en suite bathroom to maximise convenience and entertainment during your recovery.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health York Hospital
If you are suffering from a hernia and want to discuss treatment options with a specialist in York, you will need to book an initial consultation with one of our expert general surgeons.
To book, please call our friendly hospital enquiry team on 01904 715 111. You can also fill out a contact form above, and a member of the team will get back in touch with you at a more convenient time.
What types of hernias can you repair?
There are 2 common types of hernias that we can repair, hernia bilateral and hernia unilateral.
This form of hernia presents itself on both sides of the groin area or lower abdomen at the same time.
- This type of hernia occurs on one side of the body
- In men, an inguinal hernia happens at the inguinal canal. This is a narrow passage in which blood vessels supplying the testicle pass through the abdominal wall
- More common in women, a femoral hernia appears in the groin
- Femoral hernias happen at the hole in the wall of the abdomen where the femoral artery and vein pass from the abdomen into the leg
- These hernias tend to occur following childbirth.
What happens during hernia repair surgery?
We can perform two types of surgery, both with quick recovery times. You may not even need to stay in hospital overnight.
- Open repair surgery takes about 1 hour and a variety of anaesthetics may be used
- Your surgeon will make an incision in your groin and remove the "hernial sac"
- To strengthen the muscle layer, stitches will be used
- They insert a synthetic mesh to cover the weak spot
- Open surgery for groin hernia repair is usually done as a day case meaning you can go home same day.
Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- This procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- It normally takes about 1 hour
- A laparoscope (tiny telescope) connected to a camera will be inserted via a very small tube (cannula) to allow your surgeon to close the weak spot from inside your abdomen
- They will use a piece of surgical mesh and surgical staples to reinforce the area
- You will probably go home the day of the surgery or you may spend 1 night in hospital.
How quick is recovery?
- Recovery from hernia repair surgery is usually very quick
- You'll be mobile very soon after the procedure and will be encouraged to increase how much you walk around over the first few days post surgery
- Most patients return to normal daily activities within a week
- Your consultant at York Hospital will inform you of any specific "do's and don'ts", depending on your type of hernia and the chosen surgery.
Are there any risks with hernia repair?
As with all operations, hernia repair surgery has a risk of complications. Be sure to discuss any concerns you might have about these risks with your surgeon.
Many hernias won’t cause immediate pain or problems, but they can present a real risk if left untreated. Here’s how to spot a hernia and what to do next.