After completing his orthopaedic training, Mr Berber went onto gain extensive experience in hand surgery with several specialist Fellowships. He spent time working at Guy’s and St Thomas Hand Unit in London. He was then awarded a British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH) Fellowship at the Oxford University Hospitals. He gained further specialist experience during his time at the Pulvertaft Hand Centre in Derby. Having been awarded a Traveling Fellowship by the Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand, he attended the Institut de la Main in Paris. Here he developed his interest in spasticity, nerve injuries, arthroscopic wrist surgery and microsurgery.
Mr Berber's medical training was completed at the University College London Medical School where he graduated with awards in anatomy and physiology. He also has a first-class honours degree in Medical Biochemistry. He gained Fellowship to the Royal College of Surgeons in 2015, has a master’s degree in Trauma and Orthopaedics, a Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine and has the BSSH Diploma in Hand Surgery.
He has been heavily involved in academic research with several journal publications and presentations at national and international conferences. He enjoys teaching and is regularly invited to teach on training courses for medical students and surgeons. He is an Honorary Clinical Lecturer at UCL Medical School and is a tutor for the BSSH Hand Diploma.
Hand and wrist surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Onur Berber at Nuffield Health
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Carpal tunnel release
- Nerve surgery
- Hand surgery
- Trigger Point Injections
- Cubital tunnel release
- Tennis elbow release
- Systematic review of wrist arthroplasty. Berber O, Garagnani L, Gidwani S. Book chapter. FESSH Instructional Course Book 2020.
- Salvage of the Failed Total Wrist Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review. Berber O, Gidwani S, Garagnani L, Spiteri M, Riley N, McNab I, Little C. J Wrist Surg. 2020 Oct;9(5):446-456. DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1713728
- Mortality and pulmonary complications in patients undergoing upper extremity surgery at the peak of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in the UK: a national cohort study.
- Dean BJF; Corona Hands Collaborative. BMJ Qual Saf. 2021 Apr;30(4):283-291. Epub 2020 Oct 9. DOI: 10.1136/bmjqs-2020-012156
- Efficacy of surgical helmet systems for protection against COVID-19: a double-blinded randomised control study. Schaller G, Nayar SK, Erotocritou M, Overton A, Stelzhammer T, Berber O. Int Orthop. 2021 Jan;45(1):39-42. DOI: 10.1007/s00264-020-04796-3
- Fractures of the Scaphoid. Berber O, Ahmad I, Gidwani S. BMJ 2020 May 27;396:m1908. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.m1908 Getting it right first time: a management protocol for acute and subacute fractures of the scaphoid.
- Berber O, Heras-Palou C, Gidwani S. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2020 Jul;45(6):643-645. DOI: 10.1177/1753193420909491
- Ankle Home Stay Programme:- A review of ankle fracture management and costs at a busy district general hospital. Khakha R, Berber O, Patel A, Kurar L, James L. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2019 Dec 3;50:6-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.amsu.2019.07.020
- Systematic review of total wrist arthroplasty and arthrodesis in wrist arthritis. Berber O, Garagnani L, Gidwani S. J Wrist Surg. 2018 Nov;7(5):424-440. DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1646956
- Correlation of overactive bladder symptoms and falls with injuries in older people. Berber O, Singh, B. MOJ Gerontol Ger. 2018;3(6):422-424. DOI: 10.15406/mojgg.2018.03.00158
- An audit of clinical training exposure amongst junior doctors working in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery in 101 hospitals in the United Kingdom. BOTA Collaborators. BMC Med Educ. 2018 Jan 2;18(1):1. DOI: 10.1186/s12909-017-1038-5
- Effect of tranexamic acid use on blood loss and thromboembolic risk in hip fracture surgery – systematic review and meta-analysis. Baskaran D, Rahman S, Salmasi Y, Froghi S, Berber O, George M. Hip Int. 2018 Jan;28(1):3-10. DOI: 10.5301/hipint.5000556
- The high-risk polytrauma patient and inferior vena cava filter use. Berber O, Vasireddy A, Nzeako O, Tavakkolizadeh A. Injury. 2017 Jul;48(7):1400-1404. DOI: 10.1016/j.injury.2017.04.038
- Do the biologic agents increase the risk of infection in patients undergoing lower limb arthroplasty surgery?Berber O, Berber R, Back D, Sandiford N. Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2016 Nov 27. DOI: 10.2174/1573397112666161128094138
- A unique physeal injury of the distal phalanx. Berber O, Singh B. Case reports in Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery. 2015 Mar;2(1):4-6. DOI: 10.3109/23320885.2014.999780
- The development and nature of femoral head Cam lesions following acetabular fractures. Berber O, Foote J, Sabharwal S, Datta G, Bircher M. Hip Int. 2014;24(2):194-9. DOI: 10.5301/hipint.5000098
- Metallosis and cutaneous metal pigmentation in a reverse shoulder replacement. Berber O, Pearse YO, Tennent DT. Shoulder and Elbow. 2013;5:195-197. DOI: 10.1111/sae.12012
- The safety of direct primary excision of low-grade chondral lesions based on radiological diagnosis alone. Berber O, Datta G, Sabharwal S, Aston W, Saifuddin A, Briggs T. Acta Orthop Belg. 2012;78(2):254-62
- The measurement of the effect of knee binding on patients with symphyseal separation.Foote J, Berber O, Datta G, Bircher M. Injury Extra. 2012 July; 34(7):43-46. DOI: 10.1016/j.injury.2012.03.017
- Malignant proximal fibular tumours: A case series of 17 patients. Sabharwal S, Datta G, Berber O, Aston W, Pollock R, Briggs T. Acta Orthop Belg. 2011;77(6):795-801.
- Bizzare parosteal osteochondromatous proliferation of bone – Clinical management of a series of 22 cases.
- Berber O, Dawson-Bowling S, Miles, J, Aston W, Pollock R, Skinner J, Cannon S, Briggs T. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011;93:1118. DOI: 10.1302/0301-620X.93B8.26349 A novel technique for internal fixation of a complex radial head fracture.
- Berber O, Pearse YO, Tennent DT. Shoulder Elbow Surg 2011;3:124. DOI: 10.1111/j.1758-5740.2011.00121.x The reconstruction of an arthritic hip with an occluded femoral canal using a new conservative hip replacement: a case report. Berber O, Sturridge S, Cannon S, Blunn G. J Arthroplasty 2011 Dec;26(8):1571.e9-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.arth.2011.01.018
- Biomechanical testing of a concept of posterior pelvic reconstruction in rotationally and vertically unstable fractures.Berber O, Amis AA, Day AC. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Feb;93(2):237-44. DOI: 10.1302/0301-620X.93B2.24567
- Failure of conventional retrograde cystography to detect bladder ruptures in pelvic trauma.Berber O, Emeagi C, Perry M, Rickman MS. J Orthop Traumatol. 2011;12:57. DOI: 10.1007/s10195-010-0123-x
- ‘Verto-sign’: an indicator of increased operative complexity in pelvic trauma surgery.Berber O, Emeagi C, Rickman M. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010 Oct 15.
- Dysphagia.Berber O, Joshi J. BJHM. 2010; 71(4):M61-M63.
- Endovascular therapy for the treatment of congenital venous malformations. Berber O, Holt P, Hinchliffe R, Thompson MM, Loftus IM. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010; 24(3): 415.e13-415.e17. DOI: 10.1016/j.avsg.2009.08.008
- Pseudarthrosis of the tibia: Emergency department presentation of Neurofibromatosis Type 1 in a 4 month old infant. Berber R, Berber O, Taguri NG, Maroju RS, Abdulla S. Emerg Med J. 2009;26(4):306. DOI: 10.1136/emj.2008.064105
- A review of orthopaedic functional outcome scores.Berber O, Gooding CR, Kurer MHJ. Ann R Coll Surg Eng. 2008;90: 623.
- The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- The British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- AO Trauma
Other posts held
- Trauma and Orthopaedic - Hand and Wrist Surgeon, Royal Free Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Mr Onur Berber has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Berber holds shares with Harley Street Specialist Hospital. <details? >
Mr Onur Berber does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Onur Berber does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.