Colonoscopy in Cambridge
At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital our men's health experts pride themselves on their diagnostic accuracy and can provide you with rapid access to a colonoscopy. Read more…
Contact our diagnostic experts in Cambridge
Fill out a contact form and we will get back to you
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Why choose Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital for your colonoscopy procedure?
Are you in need of a colonoscopy procedure? You can skip the waiting list and get rapid access to a private colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital. Our specialist general surgeons are experts in diagnostic scans and you can expect to receive a detailed diagnosis and the findings from your procedure as quickly as possible.
Our brand new £30 million hospital is located close to Cambridge's city centre and since re-opening in 2015, has built a reputable presence in Cambridgeshire for remarkable private healthcare, leading us to achieve an overall 'Outstanding' rating by the CQC. Our experienced consultant surgeons are well supported by our attentive matron-led nursing team, who pride themselves on ensuring a comfortable and well managed hospital experience.
'Going private' at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital may be more affordable than you think. Our packaged procedure prices include any aftercare you may require post treatment. You can pay for yourself or you can apply for an interest free personal medical loan via Zebra finance.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital
Booking a consultation to see one of our men's health experts in Cambridge is easy. Simply call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01223 853 595 and they will book you a consultation at a time and date convenient for you.
Alternatively, if you are unsure about the consultation process or the colonoscopy procedure, our enquiry team will be more than happy to answer your questions.
What is a colonoscopy?
- A colonoscopy is a test regularly carried out at our Cambridge Hospital that allows our consultants to look at the inner lining of your large intestine, (rectum and colon)
- We use a thin, flexible tube called a colonoscope to look at the colon
- A colonoscopy helps identify conditions such as ulcers, colon polyps, tumours and inflamed areas of inflammation.
Are there any alternatives to a colonoscopy?
Yes, other options can include a barium enema (an x-ray of the large bowel) or a CT colography (a special scan of the large bowel).
What does a colonoscopy procedure involve?
- If appropriate, the endoscopist may offer you a sedative or painkiller
- A colonoscopy usually takes between half an hour and three-quarters of an hour
- The procedure involves placing a flexible telescope into the back passage and blowing some air into the large bowel to get a clear view
- The endoscopist will be able to look for problems such as inflammation or polyps
- They will be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis.
What complications can happen?
- Allergic reaction
- Breathing difficulties or heart irregularities
- Making a hole in the colon
- Incomplete procedure.
How soon will I recover from my colonoscopy at Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital?
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in approximately 2 hours
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass
- Your consultant will report back to you the findings of your colonoscopy
- Most of our patients are able to go back to work the day after the colonoscopy.
A colonoscopy is usually a very safe and effective way of finding out if you have a problem with your large bowel.
Thousands of men are killed by preventable diseases every year. By knowing the signs and reacting early, you can survive to live a long and happy life.