- Specialities General Surgery, Key Hole Surgery, Vascular and endovascular surgery , Colorectal
- Telephone 01277 695695
- Year of first qualification 1977
English, Arabic and Turkish
- GMC Number 2406134
- Fax 01277 261924
Professor Shukri Shami did his medical training at Charing Cross Hospital in London and qualified as a medical practitioner in 1977. He then went onto specialising in surgery and did his surgical training in surgery at various London teaching hospitals before taking up the post of Assistant Professor in Surgery at the Jordan University of Science and Technology. He returned to the UK in 1990 when he did research and completed is MS in Surgery.
He was appointed Consultant General, Vascular and Colorectal Surgeon by Barking Havering and Redbridge University Trust in 1995 where he did NHS work until 2012. During this time he served as Surgical Tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons of England (5 years), Clinical Director of Surgery (3 Years) and Associate Medical Director (3 years).
As well as his surgical practice, he was heavily involved in undergraduate and post graduated teaching and training, both in the UK and abroad. He was appointed Associate Professor of Surgery both by The American University of the Caribbean and by Ross University Medical School.
Since 2012 he has been working exclusively in the private sector and has expertise in all aspects of general surgery but in particular gastrointestinal surgery (colorectal surgery), vascular surgery and paediatric surgery. He also performs diagnostic and therapeutic upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopies (OGD, flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy). In colorectal surgery, he is particularly interested in the treatment of haemorrhoids (piles) and as well as injection sclerotherapy, conventional haemorrhoidectomy. He also performs the THD (transanal haemorrhoidal dearterialisation) procedure.
Professor Shukri Shami specialises in the following treatments at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital:
- Weekly Monday 18:30 - 19:30
- Consultant in private practice
- General Surgery (including key-hole surgery)
- Vascular Surgery (arterial and venous)
- Colorectal Surgery (including endoscopies)
Skiing, travelling and DIY
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons
- British Microcirculatory Society
- British Medical Society
- Medical Protection Society
Professor Shami has done research into vascular surgery, arterial and venuous disease. His thesis was accepted for an MS in Surgery by the University of London (1992). He published his research in numerous peer reviewed journals and presented his work both nationally and internationally. He has also written two books on surgery.
- Five chapters in books, four as first author
- 38 papers in peer reviewed medical journals - 24 as first author
- 15 first-author published abstracts of papers presented at meetings
- Numerous book reviews and published letters to editors of medical journals
Presentations to learned societies (Only first author presentations included):
- 20 Presented in the UK
- 9 Presented in USA or Canada
- 4 Presented in Europe
- 6 Presented in Asia or Africa
- Numerous poster presentations all over the world