Professor Jean McEwan is a general cardiologist with 30 years of experience. For over 20 years she has been a consultant at the University College Hospital and the Heart Hospital. She also holds a weekly clinic at the Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital.
Jean’s specialty postgraduate training in Cardiology (diseases of the heart and circulation) was at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School in London (Hammersmith Hospital), now part of Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London.
Over the past five years her academic activity has been dedicated to the delivery and development of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education. She is a Sub Dean at University College London (UCL) Medical School and Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
As a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London, Jean was the Improving Working Lives (IWL) Officer, and Chaired the Intercollegiate IWL Committee. She is the Clinical Lead for Handover, contributed to the RCP London Handover Toolkit, and is widely consulted on the processes involved in effective handover.
Professor McEwan’s clinical interests are broad, encompassing all aspects of cardiology. These include:
- Reducing cardiovascular risk factors (cholesterol and high blood pressure)
- Assessment of chest pain (angina)
- Symptoms of heart failure (shortness of breath, ankle swelling)
- Valvular heart disease (murmurs)
- Palpitations (arrhythmias)
She also sees patients where heart or brain symptoms might be the source of particular conditions (stroke, transient ischaemic attacks (TIAs) and dizzy spells and blackouts).
Professor McEwan performs the following procedures:
- Rhythm monitors
- Coronary angiography
- Cardiac catheterisation
Dr McEwan and her family live in Billericay, Essex.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Jean McEwan at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Event monitor
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- British Cardiac Society
- Medical Womens Federation
Other post held
- Honorary Consultant Cardiologist, UCLH
- Professor of Clinical Education, UCLH
- Director of Undergraduate Medical Education, UCLH