Colonoscopy in York
Are you in need of quick access to a colonoscopy? At Nuffield Health York Hospital our expert endoscopists regularly perform colonoscopies and you can expect to receive your results as quickly as possible. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£1,145|
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our endoscopy experts in York
Fill out a contact form or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Why choose Nuffield Health York Hospital for your colonoscopy procedure?
If you need a colonoscopy, we can help you skip the waiting lists and provide you with rapid access to an affordable private colonoscopy procedure at Nuffield Health York Hospital.
Our specialist general surgeons are experts in diagnostic treatment and you can expect to receive a detailed diagnosis and the findings from your procedure as quickly as possible.
Colonoscopies are often performed as a day case in York, even though your time in hospital will be relatively short, you will still get to experience our first-class inpatient rooms to relax in before and after surgery. Each of our private patient bedrooms includes a widescreen TV, radio, unlimited free WIFI and a spacious en suite bathroom.
How to book your colonoscopy at Nuffield Health York Hospital.
If you have been referred by your GP or another healthcare professional, you can call to book your private colonoscopy today. Before your procedure you will likely need to attend an initial consultation with one of our general surgeons to discuss your health concerns and possible treatment options first.
To begin your treatment journey, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01904 715 111. If you are unable to call, please fill out a contact form above and a member of our York enquiry team will get back to you at a more convenient time to answer any questions you may have.
What is a colonoscopy?
- A colonoscopy is a test regularly carried out at our Hospital in York, which allows our consultants to look at the inner lining of your large intestine, (rectum and colon)
- We use a thin, flexible tube called a colonoscope to look at the colon
- A colonoscopy helps identify conditions such as ulcers, colon polyps, tumours and inflamed areas of inflammation.
Are there any alternatives to a colonoscopy?
Yes, other options can include a barium enema (an x-ray of the large bowel) or a CT colography (a special scan of the large bowel).
What does a colonoscopy procedure involve?
- If appropriate, the endoscopist may offer you a sedative or painkiller
- A colonoscopy usually takes between half an hour and three-quarters of an hour
- The procedure involves placing a flexible telescope into the back passage and blowing some air into the large bowel to get a clear view
- The endoscopist will be able to look for problems such as inflammation or polyps
- They will be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis.
What complications can happen?
- Allergic reaction
- Breathing difficulties or heart irregularities
- Making a hole in the colon
- Incomplete procedure.
How soon will I recover after my colonoscopy?
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in approximately 2 hours
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass
- Your consultant will report back to you the findings of your colonoscopy
- Most of our patients are able to go back to work the day after the colonoscopy.
A colonoscopy is usually a very safe and effective way of finding out if you have a problem with your large bowel.