Gastric bypass surgery in Leeds
At Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital, we offer a unique, all-inclusive treatment package to support you throughout your weight loss surgery journey. Read more…
Paying for yourself
|Consultant fees||Hospital fees|
|Initial consultation||£200||No charge|
|Subtotals||£200 guide price||£9200 guaranteed price|
The price displayed for your initial consultation is a guideline only as Consultant fees vary according to their own individual fee schedules. The price displayed above however for pre-assessment, main treatment and post-discharge care is guaranteed and inclusive of all costs.
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our Leeds Hospital today:
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Why choose Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital for my gastric bypass surgery?
Our bariatric team is one of the most experienced weight loss surgery teams in the UK. Our renowned surgeons have performed over 5,000 successful operations.
Based in the heart of Leeds, our state-of-the-art hospital allows our expert consultants and nurses to provide the highest standards of treatment. We take a holistic and personal approach to patient care.
Weight loss surgery is a life-changing operation, so we want to make sure you have dedicated expert support throughout your journey.
We offer a comprehensive treatment package that includes:
- End-to-end support from your chosen bariatric specialist surgeon
- Executive car service to and from the hospital
- Nutritional advice from a Nuffield Health dietician
- Lifestyle and behavioural change support from a Nuffield Health psychologist
- A 3-month membership at your local Nuffield Health gym to support a healthy lifestyle.
What happens during gastric bypass?
- A gastric bypass is performed under general anaesthetic
- It usually takes between 2 - 4 hours
- Your surgeon will usually use laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery
- They will make several small cuts on your abdomen
- Your weight loss surgeon will place surgical instruments along with a telescope inside your abdomen to perform the operation
- Your surgeon will create a tunnel behind your stomach
- They will pass a stapling device through the tunnel and then staple your stomach to create a smaller stomach pouch
- They will divide your small bowel below your stomach and bring up the lower end and attach it to your new stomach pouch
- The contents of your new stomach pouch will now bypass the rest of your stomach and the first part of your small bowel.
Going home after a gastric bypass
- You should be able to go home the day after your gastric bypass surgery
- Your stomach may be sore and you may experience nausea or vomiting
- These symptoms should ease quickly
- You will start with a liquid-only diet, progressing to soft food and then to solid food
- Due to nutritional deficiencies created by gastric bypass you may need dietary supplements for the rest of your life
- Some patients experience “dumping syndrome” if they eat the wrong foods; resulting in nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea
- You should be able to return to work after 2 - 4 weeks depending on the extent of surgery and your type of work
- Many patients experience rapid weight loss in the first 6 - 9 months following gastric bypass procedure
- It is important that you maintain any diet or exercise programme prescribed in order to continue this progress.
Although rare, as with any surgery there can be complications. Specific complications of gastric bypass may include:
- Damage to internal organs
- Surgical emphysema
- Developing a hernia near one of the cuts
- Pouch stenosis
- Staple-line bleeding
- Anastomotic leak
- Developing a hernia inside the abdomen
- Change in bowel habit or diarrhoea
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Anastomotic ulcer
- Developing gallstones.
The decision to have gastric bypass surgery must be considered very carefully. Our experienced consultants and bariatrics nurses here in Leeds can give you all the information you need to ensure you make the right decision. Other weight loss treatments we offer include gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy and gastric balloons.
Two decades of unhealthy eating had made Alison obese, diabetic and unhappy. She came to Nuffield Health desperate for a solution that might finally work. This is her story.