- Specialities General Surgery, Weight loss, Bariatrics
- Telephone 01133 882 067
- Year of first qualification 1987
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax 0113 301 0245
Mr Simon Dexter believes that patient safety and quality of life are key goals amidst the changing face of upper GI surgery. These goals are reflected in his teaching and clinical practice.
Mr Dexter has been involved in laparoscopic surgery since its inception in the UK in 1990 and was the UK’s first laparoscopic surgery research fellow. His advanced surgical training took him through Leeds General Infirmary, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Tufts Medical Centre, Boston, USA, and the National Cancer Centre Hospital, Tokyo.
Mr Dexter specialises in laparoscopic and oesophago-gastric surgery, and he has a particular interest in laparoscopic obesity surgery, both primary and revisional Mr Dexter has performed over 1000 laparoscopic gastric bypass, gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch procedures. He also regularly undertakes hernia repair and colonoscopy procedures.
He has taught and mentored consultant surgeons across the UK in these techniques and is on the training committee of BOMSS, with responsibility for the development of training programmes for UK surgeons. Mr Dexter's complication rate is one of the lowest in the country for bariatric surgery.
Mr Dexter specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Body Contouring
- Gastric Balloon
- Gastric Band
- Gastric Bypass
- Gastric 'Pill' Balloon
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Weight Loss Surgery
If you feel you would like to discuss weight loss surgery options, why not book a complimentary 10 minute one-to-one with Mr Dexter. Call our enquiry department on 0113 388 2067.
Mr Simon Dexter the news
Mr Dexter features in The Daily Mail's Good Doctors Guide: read the guide.
- Weekly Friday daytime
- Consultant Surgeon, Upper Gastrointestinal and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Leeds Institute for Minimally Invasive Therapy
Upper gastrointestinal oncology, obesity surgery, gastro-oesophageal reflux, advanced laparoscopic surgery and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
Mr Simon Dexter enjoys rock concerts and dad dancing, watching rugby, walking his dogs and nights in with the family, a glass of fine wine and a home cooked meal.
- British Obesity Surgery Society (Council Member)
- Leeds Institute for Minimally Invasive Therapy
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (Council Member)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (Executive Treasurer and Council Member)
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of GB & Ireland (President)
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- College of Surgeons of Hong Kong
- British Medical Association
Mr Dexter promotes innovative practice and has pioneered many complex laparoscopic procedures such as:
- 1996 First Laparoscopic Liver Resection in Leeds
- 2000 First Laparoscopic gastric bypass in the UK together with Professor Michael McMahon
- 2002 First Laparoscopic Radical Transhiatal Oesophagectomy in UK
- 2003 First Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch / Biliopancreatic diversion in UK together with Professor Michael McMahon
- 2004 First Laparoscopic Radical (D2) Gastrectomy in UK
- 2007 First Totally Minimally Invasive Oesophagectomy in Leeds
- 2008 World’s First Laparoscopic Merendino Operation (Gastro-oesophageal junction resection with jejunal interposition)
- 2009 First Laparoscopic Gastric Electrical Stimulator (Enterra) in Leeds
- Mr Simon Dexter was appointed as the country’s first “Minimally Invasive Surgery” research fellow. Awarded DM in 2000
- Performed UK’s first laparoscopic gastric bypass, and laparoscopic duodenal switch for obesity together with Professor Michael McMahon.
DeclarationMr Simon Dexter works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Simon Dexter does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Simon Dexter does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Simon Dexter does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.