Mr Abeezar Sarela
MBBS, MS, MSc, MD, FRCS (Gen Surg)
- General Surgery, Weight loss, Bariatrics
- Year of first qualification
- Languages spoken
- GMC Number
Mr Sarela specialises in Keyhole Surgery, also called Laparoscopy or Minimally Invasive Surgery, for:
Mr Sarela will explain all the operations, and help you to weigh the pros and cons of each operation according to your weight, medical conditions and personal circumstances. Mr Sarela believes that every overweight person has her or his own needs and circumstances. One size does not fit all, and Mr Sarela will do his best to make sure that your individual needs are met. Mr Sarela will discuss all the options with you, to reach a shared decision about the procedure that is best for you.
Please do not make a decision in a hurry. Take your time, and ask me all the questions that you need to ask. Whatever procedure you may choose, follow-up care is absolutely vital, and Mr Sarela will work with you to help you to get the maximum satisfaction.
If you feel you would like to discuss weight loss surgery options first, why not book a complimentary one-to-one with this consultant. Call our Enquiry department on 0113 388 2067
- Acid Reflux: Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication and Magnetic Bead Ring for treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (also called GERD or GORD)
- Gallstones: Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for gallbladder stones causing pain, infection (cholecystitis & cholangitis), jaundice and pancreatitis
- Hernia: Laparoscopic surgery to repair inguinal and femoral (groin) hernias, Sportsman’s hernia, umbilical hernia, incisional hernia, and hiatus hernia
- Achalasia: Laparoscopic cardiomyotomy (Heller’s operation) for treatment of difficulty to swallow because of non-relaxation of oesophageal sphincter
- Gastroparesis: Gastric pacemaker for the treatment of chronic nausea and vomiting from delayed stomach emptying in diabetes and other conditions
- Cancer: Multi-disciplinary treatment of cancer of oesophagus and stomach with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery (oesophagectomy and gastrectomy).
Mr Abeezar Sarela has been a Consultant Surgeon at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust and at the Nuffield Hospital Leeds since 2003. Mr Sarela has extensive experience and expertise, and he has lectured and published widely on all areas of his practice.
Mr Sarela is committed to devoting as much time as required to listening, explaining and shared decision-making. Whatever your condition, Mr Sarela will do your operation thoroughly and meticulously so that you may get the best possible outcome.
- Weekly Tuesday 18:00 - 21:00
- Weekly Friday mornings
- Consultant in Upper Gastrointestinal &
- Minimally Invasive Surgery, The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds
Mr Abeezar Sarela is married to a couple-relationship counsellor and they have one daughter. Outside of medicine, Mr Sarela's main current ambition is to run a marathon!
- Royal College of Physicians &
- Surgeons of Glasgow
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain &
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society
- Society of American Gastrointestinal &
- Endoscopic Surgeons
- Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
DeclarationMr Abeezar Sarela has indicated that they work with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- CS Healthcare
Mr Abeezar Sarela has indicated that they do not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Abeezar Sarela has indicated that they do not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Abeezar Sarela has indicated that they do not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.