Men's health and prostate clinic in Leeds
Many conditions that affect men’s health happen gradually and can go unnoticed. A problem may start as a minor niggle, and before you know it you’ve learned to live with it, putting any concerns aside as you get on with your life.
Give us a call
Why choose Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital for your men's health treatment?
Our specialist staff at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital can provide expert advice for a range of men's health procedures, from vasectomies, vasectomy reversals to prostate treatment and Peyronie's Disease treatment. Our team is on hand to explain any issues in a reliable, professional way. And you’ll see the same consultant from start to finish.
You’ll feel at ease with a familiar team, and treatment that is tailored just to you. It’s important to think about your health and get advice straight away. Talk to us and we can help solve your health problems with easy to access advice and treatment.
Prostate health check clinic
The Prostate Health Check Clinic is a specialist service that offers a comprehensive and personalised assessment for men who are concerned that they may have a prostate problem or have been diagnosed with prostate disease.
According to a survey of men aged 45 and over by Prostate Cancer UK, 70% of them knew nothing about their prostate or the symptoms of prostate cancer.
The prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system. It surrounds the tube that carries urine from the bladder. The gland is the size of a walnut and also produces some of the fluid that makes up semen. If something goes wrong with the prostate gland it can affect your sex life, or cause difficulties with passing urine.
There are several health issues that can cause prostate problems. Two conditions that affect your prostate gland are:
- Prostate enlargement
- Prostate cancer.
This condition is sometimes called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is more common in older men, and is not cancerous. As men get older, the male hormone, testosterone, can cause an increase in the growth of your prostate cells. This makes the prostate gland enlarge.
Symptoms of prostate enlargement include:
- Frequency - you may pass urine more often
- Urgency - you need to get to the toilet quickly
- Less flow - you may have a poor stream of urine
- Hesitancy - you have to wait for the urine to start
- Dribbling - sometimes urine may trickle out after you’ve finished at the toilet
- Poor emptying - you feel you have not quite emptied your bladder.
Prostate cancer - The facts
- Prostate cancer causes 10,000 deaths in the UK each year
- Every year nearly 35,000 cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed in the UK
- Most men diagnosed with prostate cancer are over 50
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the UK. The causes are not clear, but we do know that if you have a male family member that has been diagnosed with the disease, there is an increased risk of you developing it. And the risk of getting prostate cancer gets higher as you get older.
Call us for a check-up if you:
- Have lower back pain
- Feel pain in the hips or pelvis
- Have any of the urine-related symptoms
The right diagnosis is vital in enabling us to advise the best possible treatment. Tests that we use to check for prostate cancer include:
- A prostate specific antigen (PSA) blood test to help diagnose and manage prostate problems
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computerised tomography (CT), both of which can look at the prostate in detail
- Biopsy, where a specimen of tissue is taken from the prostate gland.
Among the treatments we can offer for prostate cancer are:
- Surgery to remove the prostate gland
- Hormone therapy.
If you are worried about any of these conditions, book a check-up with one of our specialists. Early diagnosis can help with many health issues. We can give you advice and discuss the right treatment for you. If you have any concerns or questions about your prostate, get in touch.