Suffering from prolonged hip pain? our expert lower limb orthopaedic surgeons in South Wales can help diagnose the severity of your hip condition and treat minor cartilage damage through diagnostic hip arthroscopy surgery.
Why choose The Vale Hospital for your hip arthroscopy surgery?
At Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital our expert hip surgeons excel in lower limb diagnostic surgery, including hip arthroscopy. All of our orthopaedic surgeons are renowned for their impressive joint diagnosis accuracy and repair, subsequently they have built a strong reputation in Wales and surrounding areas for their exemplary patient outcomes from hip arthroscopy surgery.
Our consultants are fully supported by our attentive matron-led nursing team, who are dedicated to ensuring your comfort and care whilst admitted in our Vale Hospital.
Being an inpatient at The Vale Hospital means you have your own hotel standard private room, with spacious en-suite facilities. You will also get the opportunity to eat fresh food which has been prepared by our french chefs and sourced from our hospitals vegetable gardens.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cardiff & Vale Hospitals
If you are suffering from hip pain and want to discuss your treatment options with one of our orthopaedic consultants in either Cardiff or Vale, you will need to book a private consultation via our dedicated enquiry team on 02920 007488.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging required.
Our 2 hospital locations in South Wales allow you to shape your own hip arthroscopy treatment
Hip arthroscopy surgery is performed at our Vale Hospital, however patients have the flexibility to decide where their initial consultation takes place.
As well as the Vale Hospital, our hip consultants operate out of Nuffield Health Cardiff Bay Hospital for initial consultations and all diagnostic imaging.
Subsequently, you can choose which of our two locations you want to undertake your post surgery physiotherapy and aftercare with.
What happens during your hip arthroscopy in South Wales?
- At Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital a hip arthroscopy is often performed as a day case
- The procedure is normally performed under general anaesthetic, although a local anaesthetic can be used
- The operation takes between 30 and 90 minutes
- You will be put on to a traction table (a type of operating table), which pulls firmly on your leg
- This pulls your hip joint apart a little, so your surgeon can see into the joint
- They will insert a camera through one or more small cuts around your hip
- Other small incisions may be made to introduce instruments to remove fluid, diseased tissue or bone or to perform some procedures to the area
- The inside of the joint will be examined enabling your consultant to decide whether an operation is required to repair damage or remove loose material interfering with joint movement.
Going home after your hip arthroscopy at The Vale Hospital
- You will not be able to drive yourself home so please arrange for someone to pick you up from our Vale Hospital
- You should take it easy for a few days
- You may have a few small stitches on each wound, which should be left in place until your follow-up appointment at the hospital, around 10-14 days later
- Continue to take any pain relief medication as needed
- Discuss any return to work with your orthopaedic consultant.
Most people make a full recovery from hip arthroscopy surgery, however as with any surgical procedure there is a chance of complications:
- Infection on the wound
- Difficulty passing urine
- Blood clots (deep vein thrombosis – DVT).
Specific complications of hip arthroscopy may include:
- Nerve damage
- Infection in the hip joint
- Tendon damage
- Localised stiffness or pain.
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
The Vale Hospital, Hensol Castle Park, Vale of Glamorgan, CF72 8JX
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more