Mr Dodd is an Orthopaedic and Trauma surgeon specialising in hip and knee surgery, joint replacement, sports injuries and arthroscopic surgery. He performs primary and revision joint replacement of the hip and knee including partial knee replacement and peri-articular osteotomy, knee arthroscopy, meniscal surgery and ACL reconstruction.
He is a member of the faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine and completed my Diploma in 2005 winning the Donald McCleod medal for first in year.
He trained at Imperial College school of medicine before going on to complete his post graduate training in west London’s basic and higher surgical training programs.
During 2011/12 his fellowships were at the University of Toronto in Canada, training under some of their leading surgeons, exclusively specialising in lower limb arthroplasty and soft tissue knee surgery. Toronto was an amazing city combining University and city life with the rugged outdoors. It was an amazing and life-changing experience for him and his family and certainly underpins some of the reasons for them moving back to South Wales.
Having completed all his training Matthew returned to Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (one of only four Level 1 Trauma Centres in London) for a 6 month trauma fellowship to fully round off his training in all his areas of specialist interest.
He was appointed to a fulltime post at Morriston Hospital in Swansea in 2012.
Mr Dodd has NHS clinics at both Singleton and Morriston and also operates at Neath and Port Talbot Hospital.
Mr Dodd performs the following treatments at Nuffield Health, The Vale Hospital
- Partial and Total Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction
- Meniscal Knee Surgery
Mr Dodd was born and educated in London and has moved back with his young family to his wife's hometown of Swansea so they can enjoy a better pace and quality of life and bring up their children in a far more family friendly environment.
He enjoys skiing, rugby and sailing.
English, French, Spanish
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Matthew Dodd at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Hip replacement
- Hip arthroscopy
- Long term results of the collum femoris hip replacement - A short stemmed hip. Harb, Hutt, Gill, Kashif, Miller, Dodd. Int Orth,January 2014.
- Trunnionosis: a pain in the neck. Pastides, Dodd, Sharaf, Willis-Owen. WJO, October 2013.
- Can a patellofemoral arthroplasty be a pre-total knee arthroplasty? J. Hutt, M. Dodd, H. Bourke, J. Bell. Journal of Knee Surgery. J Knee Surg, 2012
- The pivot shift test for ACL deficiency is of limited clinical value in the arthritic, ACL deficient knee. Dodd, Trompeter, Harrison, Palmer. Journal of Knee Surg, 2011
- The Durom Acetabular Component: A concise follow-up of early revision rates at a minimum of 2 years. Hutt J, Dodd M, Briffa N, Bourke H, Hazlerigg A, Ward D. Hip Int, 2012
- Outcomes of revision total hip arthroplasty for infection after grading according to a standard protocol. S. Oussedik, M. Dodd, F. Haddad. J Bone Joint Surg Br., Sept 2010
- European validation of the Vancouver classification of peri-prosthetic proximal femoral fractures. F. Rayan, M. Dodd, F. S. Haddad. J Bone Joint Surg Br., Dec 2008
- Widening the gap. A difficulty encountered with retrograde intramedullary nail fixation of distal peri-prosthetic femoral fractures. Dodd M, Uka-lois J, Naique S and Bradnock B., Injury extra; 37 (8)
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
Other posts held
- Swansea University Health Board – ABMU, Morriston Hospital
Insurers Mr Matthew Dodd works with
Mr Matthew Dodd works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Aviva Health
- Benenden Health
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Matthew Dodd does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Matthew Dodd does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Matthew Dodd does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.