Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital is the only hospital in Cambridge to offer robotic-arm assisted surgery for partial knee replacements. Find out how our new advancements in orthopaedic surgery can help you.
Why have a partial knee replacement using the MakoTM robotic-arm assisted surgery system?
The Mako Robotic system supports the consultant throughout orthopaedic surgery. Its advanced technology increases surgical accuracy, helping you recover quicker from surgery with less pain.*
How does MakoTM robotic-arm assisted surgery for partial knee replacement work?
In the weeks before your operation, our robotic arm processes the information taken from a 3D CT scan of your body. Your consultant then plans the operation to within fractions of a millimetre with the help of the Robotic-arm assisted technology.
Your consultant is always in control during the operation. The robotic-arm assisted technology allows the consultant to perform the joint replacement with pinpoint accuracy. The consultant uses the technology as an extension of his or herself, guiding surgical tools to the correct position. The robotic-arm assisted technology does not perform the surgery on its own.
Recovery after surgery using Robotic-arm assisted technology
Higher accuracy means the replacement fits as well as it possibly can and ensures the joint functions as normally as possible after surgery.
It's been shown to result in a shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery and higher satisfaction. There's also strong evidence of decreased pain and fewer complications following surgery.
Who is robotic-arm surgery suitable for?
Robotic arm surgery may not be appropriate for all patients. Your consultant will advise you on the best treatments for your condition.
Why choose Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital for your partial knee replacement using Robotic-arm assisted technology?
At Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital, we're with you every step of the way. Following your partial knee replacement surgery, you'll have access to a qualified physiotherapist in hospital or at your local Nuffield Health gym.Your orthopaedic consultant will support and guide you from day one, overseeing your full recovery and rehabilitation.
Private patients can use our on-site secure parking. During your time in hospital, you'll stay in one of our relaxing private rooms with en-suite facilities.
If you are suffering from pain and think knee surgery could be the answer, please contact us to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced consultants.
Why might I need a partial knee replacement?
- Over time, the surfaces on the knee joint can start to wear.
- This can be caused by osteoarthritis or a previous injury to the hip, (often a sporting injury).
- Osteoarthritis can become painful as joints become stiff and inflamed when the smooth lining between the joints gets damaged or wears away.
- Without the protection of this lining, the rough surfaces of your bones rub together as you move, causing pain.
- Simple, everyday tasks such as going for a walk or even getting dressed can become difficult and cause discomfort.
- There’s no cure for osteoarthritis and it can get worse with time.
- However, joints can be replaced successfully, improving both mobility and reducing pain.
- If your osteoarthritis has not progressed to all three compartments of the knee, you may only require a partial knee replacement.
*1. Nawabi DH, Conditt MA, Ranawat AS, Dunbar NJ et al. Haptically guided robotic technology in total hip arthroplasty: a cadaveric investigation. J Engineering in Medicine. 2012;227(3):302-309.
2. Anthony I, Bell SW, Blyth M, Jones B et al. Improved accuracy of component positioning with robotic-assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016;98-A(8):627-35.
3. Hampp EL, Scholl LY, Prieto M, Chang T et al. Robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty demonstrated greater accuracy to plan compared to manual technique. MAKTKA-AJA-9_12509.
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more