- Specialities Ophthalmology
- Telephone 01273 627 007 (Brighton) / 01444 476 732 (Haywards Heath) / 01273 726145 (Medical Secretary)
- Year of first qualification 1976
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org / HaywardsHeath.email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 2297297
- Fax 01444 476 778 (Haywards Heath)/01273 627 003 (Brighton)
Tony Casswell is a General Ophthalmologist with special interest in the retina. He has wide experience of all forms of cataract surgery. He uses modern cataract lens implants that allow more advanced visual outcomes including the correction of astigmatism.
He set up the surgical retinal facility in Brighton (at the Sussex Eye Hospital) and established the diabetic retinopathy screening programme for Brighton and Sussex. Following the NICE guidelines for the treatment of wet macular degeneration he has been lead clinician for developing the service. He carries out intravitreal treatments at the Nuffield for AMD, diabetes and retinal vein occlusions.
Tony Casswell introduced the OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography) service to the Nuffield allowing the accurate monitoring of patients with retinal conditions (AMD, diabetes and retinal vein occlusions) and improving the management of glaucoma: both diagnosis and progression.
Mr Casswell specialises in:
- Bi Weekly Wednesday PM (Haywards Heath)
- Wednesday and Thursday PM (Brighton)
- Weekly Friday AM (Brighton)
- Weekly Wednesday AM (Brighton)
- Thursday PM (Haywards Heath)
Cataract surgery including correction of astigmatism, retinal diseases including macular degeneration, vitrectomy and retinal surgery, diabetes, glaucoma and general ophthalmology.
Tennis, sailing and jazz.
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
- United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Brighton and Sussex Medico-Chirurgical Society
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Oxford Ophthalmologists Congress
- Southern Ophthalmological Society
- Hospital Specialist Consultants Association
- Medical Defence Union
Tony Casswell’s main clinical research is focused on retinal conditions. He is the lead investigator for the IVAN trial at the Sussex Eye Hospital. This trial is a national multicentre trial comparing Lucentis with avastin for the treatment of wet AMD. He is a co-investigator in the MERLOT trial. This trial investigates the efficacy of radiotherapy and Lucentis to reduce treatment frequency for wet AMD. He has extensive experience and publications concerning the investigation of colour vision in retinal conditions.
DeclarationMr Tony Casswell works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Tony Casswell does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Tony Casswell has the following interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital:
Mr Casswell owns an OCT machine that is situated in the out patient ophthalmic consulting room at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital. Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital is not involved with its use or billing.
Mr Tony Casswell does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.