- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 small potatoes – cooked and cut into 1cm cubes
- Onions – sliced into small pieces
- Red and green pepper – chopped into 1cm pieces
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan
- Pour the eggs into the pan
- Add the vegetables and coat with the egg.
- If you can’t coat the vegetables you need more egg or smaller vegetable pieces.
- Cook gently for about 8 mins
- Then you can either place a plate over the pan, tip the omelette into it and cook the other side, or you finish the cooking under a gentle grill.
“Tip: Your tortilla should be a few centimetres thick, much thicker than a normal omelette. If you have a small frying pan try five eggs.”
Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrients. They are known as a complete source of protein which means they contain the full range of amino acids (the protein building blocks that our body needs). One serving is two, maybe three eggs per adult.
Eat both the yolk and the white because the egg yolks contain B12, B2, vitamin A, and folate. Egg yolks are also one of the few foods which naturally contain vitamin D.
This tortilla works well for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it freezes well and you can try out a variety of vegetables to add colour and additional nutrients.
Last updated Friday 22 April 2022
First published on Thursday 7 January 2016