Getting in and out of bed after surgery or injury to the lower limbs can be very challenging, especially with crutches. Getting it right will help you avoid further discomfort.
- Set aside your crutches but leave them within reach of the bed
- Use a shoehorn to remove footwear, or ask someone to help you
- Position yourself in the centre of the bed and back up until the back of your knees are against the mattress
- Shift your operated leg out in front of you to avoid putting weight on it as you lower yourself onto the bed
- Using your arms, shift backwards and shuffle your body around until you’re in the right position
- To get out, simply reverse these steps.
You may also find these guides useful:
Last updated Friday 7 December 2018
First published on Friday 14 October 2016