Getting into bed with crutches
Getting in and out of bed after surgery or injury to the lower limbs can be very challenging, especially with crutches. Getting it right will help you avoid further discomfort.
- Set aside your crutches but leave them within reach of the bed
- Use a shoehorn to remove footwear, or ask someone to help you
- Position yourself in the centre of the bed and back up until the back of your knees are against the mattress
- Shift your operated leg out in front of you to avoid putting weight on it as you lower yourself onto the bed
- Using your arms, shift backwards and shuffle your body around until you’re in the right position
- To get out, simply reverse these steps.
You may also find these guides useful:
Friday 14 October 2016