Shoulder replacement surgery in Taunton
Or call us on
Have you been suffering from prolonged shoulder pain or experiencing difficulty with every day movement? If so, you may be suffering from osteoarthritis and could benefit from shoulder replacement surgery at Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital.
Why choose Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital for your shoulder replacement procedure?
At Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital our expert upper limb orthopaedic surgeons excel in performing shoulder replacement surgery. With a personalised treatment plan individually tailored to you, our skilled shoulder surgeons will be with you every step of the way, from your initial consultation right through to your thorough aftercare.
Since opening our doors back in 1974, Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital has been leading the way for private orthopaedic care in Somerset. Our hard earned, first class reputation has attracted some of the most highly acclaimed shoulder surgeons in the South West region. As a patient at our Taunton Hospital, you will have access to your very own private room featuring wireless internet, radio, TV and large en-suite bathroom facilities.
Our dedicated matron led nursing team, hospital staff and physiotherapy team will ensure that you are thoroughly cared for and rehabilitated during your time in hospital and during your return for aftercare.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital.
Before proceeding with any treatment, all patients are required to undergo a full consultation with one of our upper limb orthopaedic surgeons here at Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital. If you are suffering from shoulder pain and want to book a consultation, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01823 476233.
Please let the enquiry handler know if you have had any recent X-rays or scans when booking your consultation, as there will be additional charges for any diagnostic imaging required.
What happens during shoulder replacement surgery?
- Shoulder replacement is usually performed under general anaesthetic
- The operation usually takes about 2 hours. Local anaesthetic may also be put into the joint to help with pain control following your surgery
- Your surgeon will make a cut on the front of your shoulder and remove the damaged ball (head of the humerus)
- They will replace the ball and sometimes also the socket
- They may also make any necessary repairs to your rotator cuff tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to a bone)
- They will close your wound and a dressing may be applied. Your arm will be in a sling. Most patients stay in hospital 1 - 2 nights
- A physiotherapist will visit you before you leave hospital to show you gentle exercises
- You will not be able to use your operated hand for up to 6 weeks following your surgery
- Be sure and discuss any concerns you have about daily activities with our care team before you leave.
Going home after shoulder replacement
- Your shoulder will be sore and swollen for several weeks
- You should take any pain killers regularly to stay ahead of pain and help you get mobile
- Use ice packs or a package of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to help reduce any swelling in your shoulder
- Keep your wound clean and dry until your follow-up appointment
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding increasing your range of motion or decreasing the use of your sling
- Over the next few months you will work with a physiotherapist to progress to more vigorous exercise
- It is important to keep up your exercises so that your shoulder does not become stiff
- Follow any instructions you are given regarding lift or reaching
- It can take up to 6 months to see significant improvement
- Range of motion and strength in your shoulder will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
With any surgical procedure there can be complications including:
- Infection in the surgical site (incision) or joint
- Chest infection
- Heart attack or stroke.
Specific complications of shoulder replacement include:
- Nerve injury
- Fracture of the upper arm
- Rotator cuff tears
- Loosening of the joint.
Staplegrove Elm, Taunton, TA2 6AN
Postcode for Sat Nav: TA2 6BY
Ways to pay
Nuffield Health promise
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of your treatment with a 6, 10 or 12 month 0% personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more