Mr Donaldson is a full time Consultant specialising in shoulder and elbow surgery based at Yeovil District Hospital. He qualified from the University of Bristol in 2002 and underwent his orthopaedic training in Wales. He completed a fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at the Liverpool Shoulder Unit.
Mr Donaldson provides extensive experience in shoulder and elbow conditions offering a wide variety of surgical procedures to the shoulder and elbow. He has developed a busy practice in shoulder replacements performing approximately 50 per year, nearly 1% of all shoulder replacements performed in the UK. Common operations also include keyhole surgery to the shoulder to treat subacromial impingement, rotator cuff problems and shoulder instability.
He has experience in treating tendon problems around the elbow including tennis elbow as well as elbow arthritis.
- Shoulder arthritis
- Subacromial impingement
- Rotator cuff tears/pathology
- Shoulder dislocation
- Tennis Elbow
- Elbow Arthritis
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Oliver Donaldson at Nuffield Health
- Elbow surgery
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Tennis elbow release
- Shoulder Stabilisation
- Shoulder replacement surgery
I enjoy being involved in research and have ensured this remains an active part of my career.
I am the NIHR South West Peninsula Clinical Research Network lead for orthopaedics. My role is to promote clinicians throughout South Somerset, Devon and Cornwall to undertake orthopaedic research.
I am co-author of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society/British Orthopaedic Association patient care pathway on anterior traumatic shoulder instability. This is published national guidance on shoulder dislocation and is used as a reference tool to guide shoulder surgeons and physiotherapists on management.
Recent publications include:
- BESS/BOA Patient Care Pathways: Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability. Brownson P, Donaldson O,et al Shoulder and Elbow. 2015;Vol 7(3):214-226
- Biomechanical Study: determining the optimum insertion angle for screw-in suture anchors - is Deadman's angle correct? Green R, Donaldson O,et al Arthroscopy. 2014 Dec;30(12):1535-9
- Tendinopathies around the elbow. Part 1: Lateral Elbow Tendinopathy. Donaldson O, et al Shoulder Elbow. 2013 Oct;5(4):239-250
- Tendinopathies around the Elbow. Part 2: Medial elbow, distal biceps and triceps tendinopathies. Donaldson O, et al Shoulder Elbow 2014 Jan;6(1): 47–56.
- The association between intra-operative correction of dupuytren’s disease and residual post-operative contracture. Donaldson O, et al Journal of Hand Surgery 2010;35;220-223
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow and Shoulder society
- Royal College of Surgeons (England)
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Yeovil District Hospital
Insurers Mr Oliver Donaldson works with
Mr Oliver Donaldson works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Oliver Donaldson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Oliver Donaldson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Oliver Donaldson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.