Male breast reduction surgery in Derby
Do you feel embarrassed of the appearance of your chest? If you have tried weight loss and other conventional treatments to lessen the size of your breasts, you may benefit from male breast reduction surgery performed at Nuffield Health Derby Hospital. Read more…
Contact our cosmetic surgery experts in Derby
Fill out a contact form, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Why choose Nuffield Health Derby Hospital for your male breast reduction surgery?
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your chest, you may be suitable for a male breast reduction. Forty to sixty percent of men experience breast tissue enlargement. Changes in hormone levels as you grow older and weight gain can contribute to developing gynaecomastia. Informally this is often referred to as "moobs”.
If you have noticed changes in this area, you may feel embarrassed physically and psychologically distressed. You shouldn’t underestimate the effect this condition could have on your self-confidence. But, be assured, we have treatments that can help you.
At Nuffield Health Derby Hospital our leading cosmetic surgeons excel in male breast reduction surgery and have been helping men across The East Midlands achieve a more attractive chest though cosmetic treatment.
Breast reduction surgery (gynaecomastia) is usually performed as a day case however you may be expected to stay overnight to recover from surgery. You can rest assured that Nuffield Health Derby Hospital is the perfect place to perform your treatment as we offer patients their very one private room, attentive matron led care and a treatment plan individually tailored to you, inclusive of all hospital costs.
How to book a consultation at Nuffield Health Derby Hospital
If you are considering male breast reduction surgery, why not arrange an initial consultation with one of our experienced cosmetic surgeons who will run through the procedure and the treatment options available to you.
To book, please call our dedicated hospital enquiry team on 01332 540100 or fill out a contact form above and a member of our enquiry team will get back to you at a more appropriate time.
What can be done?
When you see your consultant they may recommend weight loss in the first instance. However if your gynaecomastia is caused by breast tissue overdevelopment, weight loss will not resolve the problem.
What happens during male breast reduction surgery?
- Breast reduction surgery takes 60-90 minutes and is usually performed under general anaesthetic as a day case. In some cases, an overnight hospital stay is required
- Your surgeon will make an incision around the areola (dark area around the nipple) and remove excess fatty tissue
- Liposuction may be used however if there is a large amount of fatty tissue other incisions may be necessary
- Your nipples may need to be repositioned
- Bandages will be applied to support your breasts and control swelling. You will be given pain relief medication.
Going home after your male breast reduction surgery
- Your breasts may be bruised and swollen
- After a few days, the bandages can be removed. However, you may be asked to wear a supporting garment for 4-6 weeks to support your breasts and compress your chest
- Any scars may appear red and raised. These will fade over time
- You will need to take a week off work to fully recover
- You should avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks after surgery.
A guide to the stages of recovery post gynaecomastia:
- You may have some discomfort for a week. Mild painkillers will help with this but avoid taking aspirin
- Keep walking around to avoid post-operative complications
- A support garment is worn day and night for up to 3 weeks.
- Might pull and hurt a little when you move around
- Any non-dissolvable stitches will be removed
- Gradually begin to increase your activity
- You may be able to return to work if your job does not involve a strenuous activity or heavy lifting.
- Bruising and swelling fades
- No longer need to wear support garment
- Return to work and resume most normal activities
- No strenuous activity or exercise yet.
- Resume exercise
- You can begin to judge the result
- Avoid exposing the treated area to direct sunlight for 6 months
- It can take up to 6 months before the full result of your surgery is visible.
Specific complications of male breast reduction (gynaecomastia) may include:
- Bruising and swelling
- Developing lumps or swelling (further surgery may be required)
- Nerve damage.
To achieve the best results from any type of plastic surgery, whether it is breast enhancement, liposuction, a face lift or tummy tuck, it is important to do your research first. Mr Darren Lewis provides some tips for what questions to ask before surgery.