Mr Goyal became a Clinical Lecturer of Surgery at Cardiff University, Cardiff after graduating and training in General Surgery. He then completed subspecialty training in Breast and Reconstructive Surgery at Cardiff in the Professorial Breast Unit followed by an Oncoplastic Fellowship at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals. Overseas visits to Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York and Beth Israel Deaconess Center, Boston has provided him an excellent exposure to a wide breadth of reconstruction and cosmetic breast work.
He specialises in all aspects of breast surgery including breast reconstruction surgery. He performs a broad range of oncoplastic surgeries including pedicled and local flaps, implants, nipple reconstruction, lipomodelling and breast reduction. His special interests are breast reconstruction using dermal sling and Strattice (tissue matrix). His other interests are sentinel node biopsy, new technology in breast cancer and breast pain.
He is a member of the steering group of the NEW START sentinel lymph node biopsy training program and has been central to the UK sentinel node biopsy research program and is the recipient of many international awards including the NHS Cancer Innovation Award in 2007. He has conducted multiple overseas UICC sponsored sentinel lymph node biopsy and oncoplastic training workshops.
Breast pain (Mastalgia), Breast cancer, Breast reconstruction and Sentinel node biopsy.
English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Amit Goyal at Nuffield Health
- Breast reduction surgery
- Inverted nipple surgery
- Male breast reduction surgery
- Mastectomy (breast removal)
- Breast reconstruction
- Family history screening
- Breast uplift (mastopexy)
- Breast enlargement surgery
- Lateral intercostal artery perforator (LICAP) Flap breast reconstruction
Mr Goyal has carried out high quality research work in both the laboratory and in clinical trials. He has worked on several major clinical studies (UK multicentre ALMANAC trial, NEW START sentinel node biopsy training programme, GeneSearch BLN Assay validation study, multicentre randomised mastalgia trials) and these have been published and contributed to changes in surgical practice eg the widespread adoption of sentinal lymph node biopsy in the UK and the introduction of molecular pathology in the assessment of sentinel node. He has presented work at different meetings and is the author of more than 50 peer reviewed papers and book chapters on breast.
- Goyal A, Coulson SG, Wu JM, Suvarna K et al. Occult breast carcinoma in breast reduction specimens in European women. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2011;128(3):749-53.
- Goyal A, Wu JM, Chandran VP, Reed MW. Outcome after autologous dermal sling-assisted immediate breast reconstruction. Br J Surg 2011; 98(9):1267-72.
- Goyal A. Breast pain. Clin Evid (Online) 2011 Jan 17;2011. pii 0812.
- Mansel RE, Goyal A, Douglas-Jones A et al. Detection of breast cancer metastasis in sentinel lymph nodes using intra-operative real time GeneSearch BLN Assay in the operating room: results of the Cardiff validation study. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009 115(3):595-600.Goyal A, Newcombe RG, Chhabra A, Mansel RE. Morbidity in breast cancer patients with sentinel node metastases undergoing delayed axilary node dissection (ALND), compared with immediate ALND. Ann Surg Oncol 2008;15(1):262-267.
- Goyal A, Mansel RE. Recent advances in sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 2008;20(6):621-626.
- Mansel RE, Goyal A, Le Nestour E et al. A Phase II Trial of Afimoxifene (4-hydroxytamoxifen gel) for Cyclical Mastalgia in Premenopausal Women. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2007;106(3):389-397.
- Mansel RE, Fallowfield L, Kissin M, Goyal A et al. Randomised multicentre trial of sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer: the ALMANAC trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2006; 98(9):599-609.
- Goyal A, Doulgas-Jones A, Monypenny I et al. Is there a role of sentinel lymph node biopsy in ductal carcinoma in situ?: analysis of 587 cases. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006; 98(3):311-4.
- Association of Breast Surgeons of Great Britain Ireland
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- British Society of Surgical Oncology
- Innovators in Breast Cancer (UK)
- Senologic International Society (Breast Diseases)
Other post held
- Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, Royal Derby Hospital
Insurers Mr Amit Goyal works with
Mr Amit Goyal works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Amit Goyal does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Amit Goyal does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Amit Goyal does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.