Breast enlargement surgery in Cheltenham
At Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, our experienced cosmetic surgeons can provide you with a personalised treatment plan which is tailored to you and your expectations from surgery. Read more…
Contact our cosmetic experts in Cheltenham
Fill in the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, GL51 6SY
Why choose Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital for your breast enlargement surgery?
If you are looking to undergo breast enlargement surgery, our experienced cosmetic surgeons at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital are here to provide you with the care you deserve and the aesthetic results you desire.
Our hospital in Cheltenham has been leading the way for private health care in Gloucestershire for a number of years. Our first class approach to primary cosmetic care and modern facilities, has attracted a number of expert cosmetic surgeons, who specialise in a range of cosmetic procedures.
Deciding whether to undertake breast enlargement surgery or not isn’t easy and we understand that undergoing any form of cosmetic surgery is a big step. Therefore we request that patients discuss all of their available options with one of our cosmetic consultants, before making a decision.
If you are still unsure about breast augmentation and whether it is right for you, look out for our cosmetic open events and mini 1-to-1 advice sessions which are regularly held at our hospital. At these events, you will get the opportunity to meet one of our cosmetic experts and ask any questions you may have about the procedure.
How to book a private consultation at Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital?
If you are considering breast surgery you will need to have a private consultation before proceeding with any surgery. Call our dedicated hospital enquiry team in Cheltenham today on 01242 246552, or fill out a contact form and we will find you an appointment time that works for you.
Why do people choose to have breast enhancement surgery?
- To enhance the body contour
- To reconstruct the breast after previous breast surgery
- To improve breast size or shape after having children
- To balance a difference in breast size.
What are the benefits of breast augmentation?
Perhaps you are flat chested and have always wanted larger breasts, or maybe you want to enhance the shape of your breasts following pregnancy or major weight loss? Breast augmentation patients often report psychological benefits following the procedure including:
- Increased self esteem (self confidence)
- Enjoy wearing new/fitted clothing
- Feeling more feminine
- Body balance, feeling breast are more in proportion with your body.
What kind of breast implant should I choose?
Based on your personal needs your consultant in Cheltenham may advise you on what implant might be best to use.
- All implants are made of an outer layer (shell) of silicone
- They can be filled with silicone, salt water (saline) or both
- The silicone used to fill the implant can be in the form of a liquid or gel (cohesive silicone)
- Liquid silicone and saline implants give a softer and more natural feel
- Cohesive silicone implants give a firmer feel and can come in more shapes
- Textured liquid implants with a simple round shape often give as good results as shaped cohesive-gel implants.
In it the responsibility of the Medicines and Healthcare products regulatory Agency (MHRA) to ensure the safety of implantable medical devices, including breast implants.
Is silicone safe?
Many studies have been carried out to find if silicone breast implants are safe. There is no evidence to suggest that women who have silicone breast implants are at a higher risk of getting diseases such as cancer and arthritis.
What happens during breast augmentation surgery?
- Your operation is performed under a general anaesthetic
- It usually takes about an hour and a half
- There are several options for surgical incisions: Inframammary (the crease under the breast); Transaxillary (the armpit); Periareolar (the area around the nipple)
- The type of incision (cut) used is based on the type of implant, the degree of augmentation (enlargement), your particular anatomy and patient/surgeon preference
- Your surgeon will usually place the implant in a pocket directly behind your breast as this gives the most natural result
- However, if you do not have enough breast skin and tissue to cover the implant, your surgeon may recommend placing the implant behind the pectoral muscle
- Be sure to discuss the implications of placement of your implant with your surgeon.
Going home after breast augmentation surgery at Cheltenham Hospital
- You should be able to go home the same day or the day after your breast surgery
- You might be required to wear a special supportive bra for several weeks to help your breasts settle after the procedure
- Most women return to normal activities within 2 to 3 weeks
- Depending on your type of job you should be able to return to work after the first week
- You should be able to do a limited amount of activity, such as lifting young children, after about 2 weeks
- It usually takes a few weeks for your breasts to look and feel more natural
- The results of a breast augmentation usually last for a long time. The length of time a breast implant lasts will vary depending on an individual's personal factors.
Below is a guide as to the stages of recovery after breast augmentation, please note that all patients heal differently:
Day 1 - 4
- Sleep upright in bed supported by pillows to help reduce swelling
- Wear your support bra as advertised by your consultant
- Take things easy when you get home.
5 - 14 days
- Gradually increase your activity but nothing to strenuous
- Any non dissolvable stitches will be removed during this time
- Driving may be commenced only when comfortable.
- Bruising and swelling continue to go down
- You can think about returning to work a week or two after surgery.
- Exercise can resume after 4 weeks but restrain from strenuous exercise for a further two weeks
- Your implants will continue to descend into a more natural looking position.
6 - 9 months
- Scars will begin to soften and fade
- Final result can be judged.
Specific complications from breast enlargement surgery include:
- Capsular contraction (the breast may feel harder than normal and painful)
- Developing a collection of blood or fluid in the pocket where the implant is placed
- Infection of the implant
- Change of breast and nipple sensation
- Thickening and tightening of the capsule
- Kinking and rippling
- Stiff shoulder
- Numbness or persistent pain on the outer part of your breast
- Rupture or deflation of the implant
- Cosmetic problems.
Worried about how people might react to your new look after cosmetic surgery? Here are eight helpful tips on how to step back into the world with confidence.
New measures rolled out to protect patients in the wake of the Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) scandal are a step in the right direction for the medical profession, but patients still need to look out for themselves. Dr Davina Deniszczyc explains.