Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the UK. Its causes aren’t clear, but if you have a male family member that has been diagnosed with the disease, there is an increased risk of you developing it. And the risk of getting prostate cancer gets higher as you get older.
Did you know?
- Prostate cancer causes 10,000 deaths in the UK each year.
- Every year nearly 35,000 cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed in the UK.
- Most men diagnosed with prostate cancer are over 50.
See us for a check-up if you:
- Have lower back pain.
- Feel pain in the hips or pelvis.
- Have any of the urine-related symptoms.
How we can help if you have prostate cancer
The right diagnosis is vital in enabling us to advise the best possible treatment. Tests that we use to check for prostate cancer include:
- A prostate specific antigen (PSA) blood test to help diagnose and manage prostate problems.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computerised tomography (CT), both of which can look at the prostate in detail.
- Biopsy, where a specimen of tissue is taken from the prostate gland.
Among the treatments we can offer for prostate cancer are:
- Surgery to remove the prostate gland.
- Laser therapy.
- Hormone therapy
Related tests and scans
Waiting for blood tests and results can be an anxious time. If you’ve been referred by a GP for a test and don’t want to worry or wait, Nuffield Health can help. Our national network of fully accredited laboratories delivers fast, reliable results at a competitive price – wherever you are in the UK.