Get rapid access to a cystoscopy at our Nuffield Health Hospital's. Our experienced urologists all specialise in this diagnostic procedure.
Why choose Nuffield Health for your cystoscopy?
At Nuffield Health Hospitals, our expert urologists specialise in cystoscopies. This diagnostic procedure examines the inside of your bladder and urethra tube using a a special instrument called a cystoscope.
What happens during a cystoscopy?
- A cystoscopy is usually performed using a variety of anaesthetics. You may also be given a sedative to help you relax. An anaesthesiologist will recommend what method will be used based on your own situation.
- This procedure is usually performed as a day case meaning you will be able to go home the day of your procedure
- A jelly like substance will be applied to your urethra. This is a local anaesthetic to numb the area and help the cystoscope pass through your urethra
- Your consultant will ease the cystoscope gently through your urethra and carefully examine the passage as well as the lining of your bladder. Sterile water may be used to flush the area
- They will look for any abnormalities and may take a urine or tissue sample for analysis in a lab
- In some cases a tissue sample will be taken and sent to a lab for analysis
- You may be given antibiotics to help prevent any infection.
Going home after cystoscopy
- You should arrange for someone to drive you home when you are discharged
- For the first few days after a cystoscopy many people experience a burning sensation when urinating
- In addition, if you have had a tissue sample taken you may see blood in your urine
- Drink plenty of water to help ease these symptoms.
Most people recover well from a cystoscopy. Complications are rare but they could include:
- Swelling in your urethra (inability to pass urine)
- Urinary tract infection
67 Lansdowne Road, Bournemouth, BH1 1RW
Shenfield Road, Brentwood, CM15 8EH
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
3 Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1BN
4 Trumpington Road, Cambridge, CB2 8AF
Cardiff Bay Hospital, Dunleavy Drive, Cardiff, CF11 0SN
Hatherley Lane, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51 6SY
Wrexham Road, Chester, CH4 7QP
78 Broyle Road, Chichester, PO19 6WB
Rykneld Road, Derby, DE23 4SN
Wonford Road, Exeter, EX2 4UG
25 Beaconsfield Road, Glasgow, G12 0PJ
Stirling Road, Guildford, GU2 7RF
Burrell Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1UD
Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DF
Foxhall Road, Ipswich, IP4 5SW
2 Leighton Street, Leeds, LS1 3EB
Scraptoft Lane, Leicester, LE5 1HY
Clayton Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE2 1JP
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 4DB
Beech Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7RP
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 9DP
Staplegrove Elm, Taunton, TA2 6AN
Junction Road, Norton, Stockton on Tees, TS20 1PX
Kingswood Road, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 4UL
The Chase, Old Milverton Lane, Leamington Spa, CV32 6RW
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
Shores Road, Woking, GU21 4BY
Wood Road, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, WV6 8LE
Haxby Road, York, YO31 8TA
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our men's health experts in Brighton
Email us or request a call back
A member of the team will respond to you soon.