At the recently refurbished Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital in Hampshire, our modern facilities allow our expert consultants and nurses to provide the highest standards of treatment and care.
Why choose Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital for my colonoscopy?
At Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital, we've been providing the highest level of treatment and care to people in Hampshire for over 30 years. With private rooms for all of our patients, and state-of-the-art treatment facilities, our patients are at the heart of everything we do.
What is a colonoscopy?
A colonoscopy is a test regularly carried out at our Wessex Hospital that allows our consultant to look at the inner lining of your large intestine, (rectum and colon). We use a thin, flexible tube called a colonoscope to look at the colon area. A colonoscopy helps us identify conditions such as ulcers, colon polyps, tumours and inflamed areas of inflammation.
Are there any alternatives to a colonoscopy?
Other options include a barium enema (an x-ray test of the large bowel) or a CT colography (a special scan of the large bowel).
What does the procedure involve?
- If appropriate, the endoscopist may offer you a sedative or painkiller.
- A colonoscopy usually takes between half an hour and three-quarters of an hour.
- The procedure involves placing a flexible telescope into the back passage and blowing some air into the large bowel to get a clear view.
- The endoscopist will be able to look for problems such as inflammation or polyps.
- They will be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis.
Complications and risks
Although rare, as with any surgical procedure, there may be risks involved. Potential risk of a colonoscopy include:
- allergic reaction.
- breathing difficulties or heart irregularities.
- making a hole in the colon.
- incomplete procedure.
Your consultant will discuss these risks with you during your consultation.
How soon will I recover?
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in about two hours.
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass.
- A member of the team will tell you what was found during the colonoscopy and will discuss with you any treatment or follow-up you need.
- You should be able to go back to work the day after the colonoscopy.
Winchester Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 2DW
By car: our hospital is conveniently located just off Junction 12 of the M3 between Southampton and Winchester, with free parking available. By public transport: the nearest train station is Chandlers Ford - a 20 minute train journey from Southampton Central station. The 1 Bluestar bus, which serves Southampton, Chandlers Ford and Winchester, is just 5 minutes’ walk from the hospital.
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£2,035|
The guide price stated above is an approximation of the cost of treatment only. The final price may vary according to Consultant fees, prosthesis or drugs used and any pre-existing medical conditions which may alter your care pathway. You will be given a fixed all-inclusive price for treatment following your initial consultation with a Consultant.
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more