The Teesside Reflux Clinic
Acid reflux is one of life’s discomforts that can compromise your daily living. It doesn’t have to be that way. Get rapid access to treatment with the Teesside Reflux Clinic.
Reflux - it’s more than just a bit of heartburn. Acid reflux can present itself in different ways, including:
- Cough (post prandial)
- Constant clearance of throat phlegm/lumpy sensation
- Bad breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Chest pain
- Sore throat
- Difficulty sleeping
- Food regurgitation
- Acid/fluid regurgitation
- Excessive belching/burping
If you’re finding over the counter medication are no longer relieving symptoms, we can help.
Why choose The Teesside Reflux Clinic?
At Nuffield Health Tees Hospital, you have access to the region’s top specialists in acid reflux. You can be confident your treatment is the right for you, knowing your case will be individually reviewed by our multi-disciplinary team of consultants.
Their specialisms include:
- Keyhole anti-reflux surgery
- Keyhole hiatal hernia surgery
- Endoscopic radio-frequency anti-reflux STRETTA therapy
- Ear, nose & throat
What treatment is available for acid reflux?
We offer the full range of reflux treatments available, from non-surgical, minimally invasive day surgery to surgical inpatient. The extensive pathways available gives you reassurance you’ll get the most appropriate treatment for your symptoms and not be restricted by what a clinic offers. Treatment options include:
- Oesophageal function test - a two-part diagnostics test involving a manometry and a pH impedance study. A manometry is a 30-minute procedure measuring the muscle function of the oesophagus. This test is run by a third party on behalf of Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital. A pH impedance study is a 24-hour test done at home, measuring the backflow of acid from the stomach.
- Gastroscopy - an investigative procedure using an endoscope is used to look inside the oesophagus, stomach and first part of the small intestine.
- Stretta therapy - a non-surgical outpatient procedure. It delivers radiofrequency energy to the lower oesophageal muscles, resulting in improved barrier function that causes reflux symptoms.
- LINX - a minimally invasive procedure, LINX is a small flexible band of titanium beads linked together around the base of the oesophagus. The magnetic attraction between the beads helps resist opening to gastric pressures, preventing acid reflux.
- Fundoplication - a laparoscopic procedure involving attaching part of the stomach to the lower oesophageal sphincter, which helps reduce acid reflux.
- 24 hr Restech pH study probe - a study to measure acid material in the throat. The test offers an enhance accuracy of diagnosis in patients suffering with laryngopharyngeal relux (LPR)
- Barium Contrast Studies - organised at Nuffield Health Newcastle Hospital in Jesmond
- Laparoscopic (key hole) hiatal hernia repair in association with anti-reflux procedure
Our experts work with you to develop the treatment plan that suits you, your symptoms and lifestyle.
Meet The Tees Reflux Clinic team
FRCS, FRCSI, FRCS (Glas), MBBS, MS
Specialty General Surgery
Contact the secretarial team
How do I book an appointment with The Teesside Reflux Clinic?
Free yourself from the anxiety, disruption and discomfort of acid reflux, contact us on 01642 367448
Contact our experts in Tees
A member of the team will respond to you soon.