Gastroscopy in Plymouth
At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital our experienced diagnostics experts can provide you with rapid access to an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (commonly known as gastroscopy) without the long waiting list. Read more…
|Initial consultation||from £200|
|Pre-assessment, Main treatment and Post-discharge care||£1,515|
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Contact our diagnostic experts in Plymouth
Fill out the form below, or give us a call.
A member of the team will respond to you soon.
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BG
Why choose Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital for your gastroscopy?
Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital has been awarded the highest rating of accreditation for its Gastrointestinal Endoscopy service and have JAG accreditation.
Are you in need of a gastroscopy procedure? At Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital, our diagnostics experts regularly perform gastroscopies and you can expect to receive detailed findings and an accurate diagnosis in quick time.
You will receive the individual care you need and deserve at our Plymouth Hospital. Our skilled consultants are fully supported by our dedicated matron-led nursing team, who are available 24-7 to provide first-class clinical care and a warm hospital atmosphere.
The Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital has been praised in a number of areas regarding endoscopy such as the excellent safety checklist it has in place and the high quality patient-centred environment it creates which allows for privacy and dignity standards to be maintained. The modern and well-maintained decontamination area was also highlighted along with an on-going patient survey which is regularly reviewed and acted upon as well as the opportunities the hospital gives its staff for development and training.
If your are suffering with abdominal pain or think you may have a stomach ulcer and require a gastroscopy, but don't want to have to wait to be seen, get in touch today.
What will happen during your gastroscopy at Nuffield Health Plymouth Hospital?
- A gastroscopy usually takes about 30 minutes
- We may offer you a sedative to help you relax, or spray local anaesthetic on the back of your throat meaning this area will be numb throughout the procedure
- A small mouth guard will be placed between your teeth to protect them
- Your consultant will place a flexible tube called an endoscope into the back of your throat and down into your stomach
- You may be asked to swallow to help guide the tube
- From here the endoscope will pass on into your duodenum
- They will be able to look for problems in these organs such as inflammation or ulcers
- The endoscope will not interfere with your breathing but initially you may experience a retching sensation
- If you have a lot of saliva, suction similar to that used at the dentist may be used
- Your consultant will also be able to perform biopsies and take photographs to help make the diagnosis
- When the examination is complete your consultant will gently remove the endoscope.
After your gastroscopy in Plymouth
- If you were given a sedative, you will normally recover in about an hour
- You may feel a bit bloated for a few hours but this will pass
- When the local anaesthetic in the back of your throat wears off you can drink and eat normally
- Your consultant, will tell you what was found during the gastroscopy and will discuss with you any treatment or follow-up you need
- You may develop a sore throat or dry mouth and slight hoarseness, following the procedure
- Throat lozenges and saltwater gargles can ease these symptoms
- You should be able to go back to work the day after the gastroscopy
- Most people make a good recovery and return to normal activities following upper GI endoscopy.
Specific complications of a gastroscopy include:
- Sore throat
- Allergic reaction
- Breathing difficulties or heart irregularities
- Making a hole in the oesophagus, stomach or duodenum
- Damage to teeth or bridgework
- Incomplete procedure.
Some patient feedback responses can be found below;
- The explanation of the procedure was very well explained. Excellent.
- Doctors and nurses very friendly. I was impressed with the whole experience, apart from a bit of discomfort all was good.
- The empathy and care from staff is outstanding. I was very apprehensive of procedure but felt re-assured and supported throughout.
- Lovely friendly staff. Made me feel relaxed. Excellent Care 10/10