Mr Irukulla trained in South India then migrated to UK. He completed basic surgical training through South Yorkshire programme. He went on to receive higher surgical training at John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, Australia and South West Thames region, London. He completed a bariatric fellowship programme at St Georges Hospital, Tooting, London.
Although, he has a wide experience in general surgery, he specialises in upper gastro-intestinal, laparoscopic and bariatric surgery. The most common procedures he undertakes are laparoscopic cholecystectomy and laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair, laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication, laparoscopic gastric bypass, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, gastric band surgery and gastric balloon insertion. He also undertakes advanced laparoscopic procedures, such as hiatus hernia surgery, and laparoscopic bile duct surgery for gallstone disease. He is currently setting up oesophageal manometry service at St Peter’s Hospital.
Since 2008 Mr Irukulla developed an interest in treating patients with morbid obesity. In addition to his bariatric fellowship he has visited international bariatric centres in Hamburg, Germany and Bruges, Belgium to further his knowledge in this complex sub specialty.
Mr. Irukulla regularly teaches in ATLS at Ashford Hospital and Leicester Royal Infirmary. He is a faculty member in CCrISP course at Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford.
- Bi Weekly Tuesday PM
- Bi Weekly Friday AM
- Consultant General/Upper GI &
- Bariatric Surgeon, Ashford &
- St.Peter’s Hospital NHS Trust
Gastro oesophageal reflux, weight loss (bariatric surgery) and gall bladder diseases and upper and lower GI endoscopy.
Badminton, gym work, golf
- British Medical Association
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of GB &
- British Obesity &
- Metabolic Surgery Society
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- S Irkulla1, B Ujam1, D Gaze, D Kumar and M Mendall, Abdominal adiposity is the main determinant of the C-reactive response to injury in subjects undergoing inguinal hernia repair, Journal of Inflammation
- BJ John, S.Irukulla, Systematic review: adipose tissue, obesity and gastrointestinal diseases, Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 23 (11)1511-1523,June 2006
Mr Shashi Irukulla does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Shashi Irukulla does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Shashi Irukulla does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.