Mr Abbassi-Ghadi is a Consultant Laparoscopic/Robotic Gastrointestinal Surgeon based in Guildford. He specialises in the treatment of heartburn, gallstones, hernias, and upper gastro-intestinal cancer. His other surgical interests include diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, anti-reflux surgery and disorders of the oesophagus.
After achieving his medical degree at The University of Nottingham, he went on to finish his specialist training in London where he developed extensive experience in advanced operating techniques and minimal access surgery. During his training he was awarded prestigious fellowships, which took him to the National Cancer Centre in Seoul, Korea.
He is widely recognised for his research and in 2015 was awarded a PhD from Imperial College London for his work on oesophageal cancer. He also dedicated his career to teaching future specialists and is regularly invited to give lectures. Furthermore, he is a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Surrey and a Co-Supervisor of a PhD project funded by the Royal College of Surgeons and The Medical Research Council.
Having grown up in Guildford, he is proud to be offering his expertise back to the local community. His primary focuses are providing a personalised treatment that is holistic and supported by clinical evidence.
1. Gallstone surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and on table cholangiography
- Laparoscopic bile duct exploration
2. Abdominal wall hernia repair
- Laparoscopic/open repair of inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and other abdominal wall hernias
- Hernia repair under local anaesthesia
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic endoscopy – dilatation, stent placement, Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG), Naso-Jejunal (NJ) tube and Naso-Gastric (NG) tube placement
4. Dyspepsia (indigestion) - Investigation, diagnosis, and treatment
- Investigation, diagnosis, and treatment
- Anti-reflux surgery – laparoscopic or Robotic fundoplication (Dor/Toupet/Nissen)
- Laparoscopic or Robotic primary/recurrent/complex hiatal hernia repair
- Endoscopic (balloon dilatation)
- Laparoscopic Heller-Dor-Cardiomyotomy
8. Laparoscopic small bowel resection and appendicectomy
9. Laparoscopic feeding jejunostomy
10. Removal of skin and subcutaneous lesion
- Oesophageal and Gastric Cancer
- Barrett’s Oesophagus - screening, surveillance, chemo-endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumours
- Benign tumours of the stomach/oesophagus
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) – upper gastrointestinal tract
- Robotic Surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi at Nuffield Health
- Laparoscopic anti reflux surgery
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Hernia repair
- Reflux surgery
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Abdominal adhesion surgery
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia unilateral
In 2015, he was awarded a PhD from Imperial College London for his research into oesophageal cancer and has published in leading journals such as Cancer Research, Cancer Discovery, and Advanced Materials. He is a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Surrey and a co-supervisor of a PhD project funded by the Medical Research Council, The Royal College of Surgeons and The Mason Medical Research Foundation, investigating the effects of oncolytic viruses and immunotherapy on oesophageal cancer.
Other Research interests include Mass Spectrometry Imaging and Lipidomics; Theragnostic applications of Nanotechnology and Fluorophores; Anti-reflux Surgery for Chronic Lung Disease; Oesophago-gastric Cancer lymph node metastases.
He is an Academic reviewer for the British Journal of Surgery; Diseases of the Esophagus; The Royal Society of Chemistry; The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation; European Journal of Surgical Oncology and World Journal of Surgery.
- The Royal College of Surgeons
- The Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ALSGBI)
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES)
- Association of Upper Gastro-intestinal Surgery of Great Britain & Ireland (AUGIS)
Other post held
- Consultant Oesophago-Gastric Surgeon at The Royal Surrey County Hospital
Insurers Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi works with
Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Nima Abbassi-Ghadi does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.