Mr Shetty is a specialist hip and knee replacement surgeon. In addition to performing routine/standard hip and knee replacement surgeries, he also performs surgeries for complex hip and knee conditions such as a poorly developed hip (congenital/dysplastic), hip arthritis as a result of other hip conditions such as Perthes disease, avascular necrosis etc.
Mr Shetty performs other complex hip and knee operations which necessitate the use of Patient-Specific Instrumentation 'PSI' (equipment specially manufactured for patients with complex deformity) or sometimes custom-made implants (hip replacement manufactured for a specific patient).
Mr Shetty's specialist training was at the prestigious joint replacement unit of New Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh before taking up his current consultant post which commenced in May 2005. He is also one of the earliest surgeons to start doing robotic-assisted hip replacements in the north of England.
Mr Shetty has 338 hip and knee replacements performed under his care in the last 12 months (source: My NHS) His outcomes are better than the national average for hip replacements (standardised revision rate of 0.6) i.e. failure is 1/3 less than the national average (Source: National Joint Registry).
Mr Shetty also performs trauma surgery mainly dealing with lower limb trauma and keyhole operations. He is a keen teacher and is on the Panel of Examiners for the FRCS(Trauma & Orth.) exam which is the exit exam to sign off orthopaedic consultants in the UK.
Mr Shetty Mr Shetty keeps in touch with recent developments in the field of lower limb joint replacement by attending courses and meetings both national and international and has presented papers at joint replacement meetings.
Mr Shetty specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee replacement
- Knee replacement revision
- Hip replacement
- Hip replacement revision
- Hip resurfacing
- Robot-assisted hip replacement surgery
- Bone marrow aspirate concentrate treatment for avascular Necrosis in the hip
A patient case study
Read this patient case study of Mr Shetty's, who underwent robot-assisted hip replacement surgery (opens in Facebook)
Mr Shetty talking about robot-assisted joint replacement surgery
(opens in a new window on YouTube, click on the image to view)
- Weekly Monday AM
- Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Pinderfields and Pontefract Hospitals.
Mr Shetty has a keen interest in teaching and training junior doctors (both medical students and registrars).
He has a special interest in the following areas:
- Lower limb arthroplasty including revision surgery
- Arthritis in the young
- Uni-compartmental and patello-femoral arthoplasty
- Metal-on-metal resurfacing arthroplasty
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- British Orthopaedic Association
Mr Shetty is involved in on-going research projects in hip and knee replacement.
- Incidence of fat embolism during hip and knee replacements
- Cementation technique in hip replacement
- Setting up local joint replacement database and measuring outcomes of joint replacements
DeclarationMr Ajit Shetty works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Ajit Shetty does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ajit Shetty does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ajit Shetty does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.