Dr Dutta completed training at Guys & St Thomas Hospitals and Kings College Hospital. He has obtained the FRCA and FFPMRCA from the Royal College of Anaesthetists, UK. In 2012 he was appointed to his current post of Consultant in Pain Medicine at Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He specialises in the management of neck, lower back and leg pains including sciatica, cervicogenic headache, cervical and lumbar spondylosis, degeneration including wear and tear of the spine, persistent shoulder pain, pain following knee surgery, persistent pain after chest and abdominal surgery, post-hernia repair and long-standing pelvic pain.
Dr Dutta is experienced in recommending a combination of medicines for pain management, working in partnership with both patients and their General Practitioners. His interventional techniques include radiofrequency ablation/denervation, nerve root injection/transforaminal epidural and specific nerve blocks, ultrasound guided trigger point injections and pulsed radiofrequency treatments. Dr Dutta and his wider team can provide patients with TENS training, physiotherapy treatment, clinical psychology and a Pain Management Programme.
Dr Dutta is the chair and founder of small UK-based pain education charity aiming to educate teach and train healthcare professionals from developing nations regarding the management of patients with chronic painful conditions.
He is also building a website on overseas charity work.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Rajib Dutta at Nuffield Health
- X-Ray Guided Facet Joint Injection
- Trigger Point Injections
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Facet joint injections
- Stellate ganglion blocks
- Nerve blocks
Dr Dutta has completed a research project on "The use of pulsed radiofrequency treatment in spinal nerve root pain, a randomised controlled study". It involved the comparison of pulsed radiofrequency treatment with nerve root steroid injection in a single blinded, prospective, randomly controlled study. They assessed the pain at baseline and at three months, using Visual Analogue Scale and Short form McGill Questionnaire. The results showed the pulsed radiofrequency treatment had a better outcome on the pain questionnaire. The completed study was presented as a poster at the IASP, World Congress on Pain, Montreal, Canada in Aug 2010.
Published articles from Dr Dutta include:
- Dutta R, Di Vadi P, Hamann W. Calming Nerves over Spinal Pain Treatment, Journal of Anaesthesia Practice;April 2013
- Elalingam T, Dutta R, Block R. Survey of Bu Trans use in Ashford and St Peters NHS Foundation Trust chronic pain service, Journal of Observational Pain Medicine (Published in November 2012)
- Dutta R, Ward S .Implantation of spinal cord stimulator in a patient with cancer pain, Journal of Anaesthesia Practice, Feb 2012;1:208-211
- Dutta R, Patel N, Quereshi S. Ankle blocks under ultrasound guidance, Journal of Anaesthesia Practice, Dec 2011;5:170-173
- British Pain Society
- Royal College of Anaesthetists, Faculty of Pain Medicine
- Difficult Airway Society
Other post held
- Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Rajib Dutta does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Rajib Dutta does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Rajib Dutta does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.