The prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system. If something goes wrong with the prostate gland it can affect your sex life, or cause difficulties with passing urine.
There are several health issues that can cause prostate problems. Two conditions that affect your prostate gland are:
- Prostate enlargement.
- Prostate cancer
This condition is sometimes called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is more common in older men, and is not cancerous. As men get older, the male hormone, testosterone, can cause an increase in the growth of your prostate cells. This makes the prostate gland enlarge. Symptoms of prostate enlargement include:
- Frequency – you may pass urine more often.
- Urgency – you need to get to the toilet quickly.
- Less flow – you may have a poor stream of urine.
- Hesitancy – you have to wait for the urine to start.
- Dribbling – sometimes urine may trickle out after you’ve finished at the toilet.
- Poor emptying – you feel you have not quite emptied your bladder.
How we can help if your prostate is enlarged
We begin with tests to help us diagnose the problem. It’s important to make an accurate diagnosis to ensure we can offer the best treatment, so there’s a wide range of tests that we can use. These include examination of the prostate by rectal examination, blood and urine tests, and ultrasound.
Treatment of this condition varies depending on your symptoms. Some of the treatments available are:
- Drug or alternative medicine treatments, which would be advised by your consultant.
- Surgery to reduce the size of the prostate gland by removing tissue.
- A tube (catheter) in the bladder to drain urine.
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men in the UK. The causes are not clear, but we do know that if you have a male family member that has been diagnosed with the disease, there is an increased risk of you developing it. And the risk of getting prostate cancer gets higher as you get older. See us for a check-up if you:
- Have lower back pain.
- Feel pain in the hips or pelvis.
- Have any of the urine-related symptoms
Related tests and scans
Waiting for blood tests and results can be an anxious time. If you’ve been referred by a GP for a test and don’t want to worry or wait, Nuffield Health can help. Our national network of fully accredited laboratories delivers fast, reliable results at a competitive price – wherever you are in the UK.