Breakfasts should contain wholegrain carbohydrate and protein. Most packaged cereals contain lots of sugar, are highly processed and won’t sustain your children’s energy.
Bircher muesli with yoghurt, berries, nuts and seeds is a simple and nutritious alternative you can make at home.
- Plain yoghurt
- Frozen berries
- Optional: Pumpkin seeds, peanuts, raisins/dried apricots
- Pour milk over a handful of oats and leave to soak for at least 20 mins.
Tip: Do it the night before to save time in the morning.
- Top up with your choice of chopped fruit or berries or heat up some frozen berries to make a berry sauce.
- Add a spoonful of plain yogurt and some seeds and nuts.
Tip: You can grind these up in advance and label up as sprinkles – children can they have fun decorating their breakfast.
- Add cinnamon or nutmeg for some flavour and additional nutrients.
- A small amount of chopped dried apricots or raisins stirred in to the oats can add some sweetness.
Last updated Thursday 15 August 2019