“I don’t feel right . I feel sad, empty and numb inside. I can’t get off to sleep and I am tired all day... I just feel like I am drowning in waves of negativity”
Would you know how to help?
As a society, we don’t tend to know how to take care of our mental health like we do our physical health. This means that people may not know how to support a friend, family member or colleague experiencing a mental health issue, or where to go for support with their own mental health.
What will I achieve on this course?
Our two day course will provide you with an in depth understanding of mental health, mental fitness and emotional wellbeing and will help you to respond with confidence to a range of mental health difficulties including mental health emergencies. Upon completion of the course you will be qualified as a Mental Health First Carer. This qualification enables you to provide mental health support within an organisation, in the same way that a First Aider may provide physical support in case of accidents and emergencies.
You will learn how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue. MHFA won’t teach you to be a therapist, but it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
You’ll learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health, and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone while keeping yourself safe.
You’ll also learn how to empower someone to access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms. This could include self-help books or websites, accessing therapy services through their GP, their school or place of work, online self-referral, support groups, and more. What’s more, you’ll gain an understanding of how to support positive wellbeing and tackle stigma in the world around you.
The skills that are learnt on the course will be invaluable in your everyday life and as mental health is an increasing area of focus for organisations will enhance your CV and make you stand out versus the competition.
What will you cover on this course?
- Understand a wide range of mental health difficulties
- Understand the factors which impact on emotional wellbeing and mental health
- Recognise triggers, signs and symptoms of mental health ill health
- Understand the role of a Mental health first carer
- Understand the responsibilities of a Mental Health First Carer for supporting someone with mental health difficulties
- Understand a cognitive behavioural therapy model of how mental health problems develop and are maintained
- Use a range of practical skills to promote mental fitness and support mental health
- Understand the role of stigma when discussing emotional wellbeing
- Learn an effective framework for having conversations with others about their mental health
- Practice a range of enhanced techniques and interpersonal skills for supporting others with confidence, including active non judgemental listening, de-escalation and emergency action responding
- Learn the principles of Psychological First Aid for responding to trauma incidents
- Signpost people to a range of appropriate sources of support
There is a maximum course size of 16 people.
Why choose Nuffield Health?
Qualified mental health professionals and educators work together to design courses that are dynamic, engaging, and informed by sound psychological research. We have robust quality control processes in place to ensure our courses are always up to date and relevant.
Our 2 day training session is delivered via Microsoft Teams by one of our qualified mental health professionals. These trainers are also active therapists who see patients on a one to one basis. As such they have an in-depth working understanding of real-life mental health. This means our courses are highly interactive, with engagement confidently encouraged and an ability to respond credibly and supportively to any questions or concerns raised.
Unlike some other providers, we maintain lower class sizes in order to ensure maximum opportunity for engagement and learning.
All attendees will receive
- Access to a Nuffield Health Course-Co-ordinator for any questions/requirements
- Course materials – Course Handbook
- A PDF mental health ‘toolkit’ containing a range of emotional wellbeing resources
- Free 12 month access to our online Self-Help Therapy – Learn more about Self-help Therapy
- Certificate of completion. A Mental Health First Care qualification certificate will be awarded on completion of the course
- A Mental Health First Carer discount (20%) on any future emotional wellbeing courses booked with Nuffield Health
If you would like any more information on the course or if you are an employer booking significant number of employees onto this course (e.g. more than 10) and would like to discuss ongoing support and training for your employees then please contact us at email@example.com or 03331 234106. We may be able to offer additional discount above the 10% applied to bookings over 4 employees.
How to book a course
To book a course, simply click on the “Book Now” button, select the date of the course that you would like to attend and pay. You will then receive confirmation of your course with a link that enables you to access the session.
If you are booking on behalf of an organisation then you will need to enter the number of your employees that you would like to attend along with their names and email addresses in the notes section. A discount of 10% can be applied for bookings of 4 people or more. Please contact us on 03331 234106 before booking.