Are you suffering from spinal problems? If so, our expert consultant spinal surgeons at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital are here to help.
Why choose Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital for your laminectomy surgery?
At Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital, our state of the art spinal facility is here to help you overcome your sciatica and spinal problems. Our experienced spinal surgeons specialise in a range of lower back treatments, they can offer a quick diagnosis and comprehensive treatment plan personalised to you and your condition.
If you suffer from spinal stenosis, you may want to consider having laminectomy surgery to treat your condition. Our expert spine consultants are fully supported by our attentive matron-led nursing team who are dedicated to your care and comfort whilst at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital.
The recovery after your laminectomy is just as important as the surgery itself, thats why any additional aftercare required is completely covered by our Nuffield Health Promise to you.
What happens during a laminectomy?
A laminectomy is usually done under general anaesthetic and takes between one and three hours.
Your surgeon will make a cut in the centre of your back. They will remove enough bone and tissue from the back of your spine to free the trapped nerves. In some cases your surgeon may need to join the bones using a bone graft. If your surgeon feels your spine may be unstable they will use metal screws and rods to permanently connect two or more of your vertebrae together (spinal fusion).
After a laminectomy procedure
- Immediately after your surgery you will be taken to the recovery area where staff will monitor your blood pressure, heart rate and breathing.
- Once you are back in your room, our nursing team will continue to check on you to make sure you are recovering well. After you’ve recovered from any effects of the anaesthetic, you can have something to eat and drink.
- Some patients have difficulty passing urine after a laminectomy. If you are in any discomfort please tell a member of our Healthcare Team
- You will be encouraged to get up and move around as soon as possible - usually within 24 hours of your operation
- A physiotherapist will visit you to advise you on any restrictions and give you exercises to help you regain mobility. You may be advised to avoid bending, twisting or lifting anything heavy for the first six weeks following surgery.
Going home after a laminectomy at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital
- Your length of stay in hospital will depend on the level of surgery you needed. Patients who have a simple laminectomy with no fusion may go home the day after surgery. If you had spinal fusion your stay may be longer. Any stitches or staples will be removed 10 - 14 days after your operation
- You will not be able to drive or return to work until you are released to do so at your follow-up appointment with your consultant. Please arrange for someone to take you home on the day of your discharge
- You will not be able to drive or return to work until you are released to do so at your follow-up appointment with your consultant. Please arrange for someone to take you home on the day of your discharge.
- You will be encouraged to walk during your recovery. Start with short distances and build up slowly. Avoid sitting for long periods. Keeping mobile will help you to avoid DVT (deep vein thrombosis).
Most people make a good recovery and return to normal activities following a laminectomy. As with any surgery there can be complications:
- Unsightly scarring
- Blood clots
- Infection of the surgical site (wound)
- Difficulty passing urine
- Chest infection
Specific complications of laminectomy:
- Continued pain or numbness
- Numbness between your legs, loss of normal bowel and bladder control and, in men, problems having an erection
- Neuropathic pain
- Tear of the thin membrane that covers the nerves in your spine
- Infection in the spine
- Spinal instability.
Warren Road, Brighton, BN2 6DX
Ways to pay
Our prices are all-inclusive. We will equal any comparable price. There are no time limits on your aftercare.
Paying for yourself
There are no hidden costs in our treatment prices. The price you see is the price you pay.Find out more
Personal medical loan
Spread the cost of treatment with a 10 month interest free personal medical loan.Find out more
We work with you and your insurance provider to get you the treatment you need quicklyFind out more