- Specialities ENT (Otolaryngology)
- Telephone 01179 872727
- Year of first qualification 1985
- Email email@example.com
English, basic French and Spanish
- GMC Number 3014279
- Fax 01179 254909
Professor Martin Birchall graduated from Cambridge University in 1984 and is currently Professor of Laryngology at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital. His previous appointments have included the Chair of Head and Neck Surgery in Liverpool and Bristol. His special interest is in Head and Neck Surgery and Laryngology and he leads the largest ENT research group in the UK.
- Saturday twice monthly
- Professor of Laryngology, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor of Laryngology, Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital
- Honorary Consultant ENT Surgeon, UCLH
- Honorary Consultant ENT Surgeon, Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital
- NIHR Senior Investigator
- Fellow, Academy of Medical Sciences
Professor Birchall has dedicated his clinical and research life to better understand the larynx and the structures around it, such as oesophagus (gullet) and trachea (windpipe) and to apply the best of modern science and technology to disorders affecting voice, breathing and swallowing.
Running, film and cooking
- Royal College of Surgeons (Eng)
- British Laryngological Association
- American Broncho-Esophagological Association
- Dysphagia Research Society
Professor Birchall’s passion is in the field of Laryngology, the treatment and research of disorders of voice, breathing and swallowing. He leads a world-leading group researching the use of stem cells in airway care and organ transplantation, and is also researching better ways of diagnosing laryngeal disease with the support of major funding bodies including the MRC, Wellcome Trust, NIH and charities such as Sparks and the Royal Free London Charity.
DeclarationProfessor Martin Birchall works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- Universal Provident
Professor Martin Birchall does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Martin Birchall does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Martin Birchall does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.