Mr Middleton has lived and worked in the south west since qualifying from medical school in 2002 from St Bart and The Royal London Hospitals. Initially working as a Medical Officer in the Royal Navy he completed the Commando Course in order to work alongside the Royal Marines seeing active service in Afghanistan.
His surgical career continued after leaving the Navy with surgical training in the south west. Mr Middleton qualified as a consultant surgeon having completed higher specialist training in knee surgery with particular interest in sports knee injury, ligament reconstruction, patellofemoral instability, joint preservation techniques and joint replacement.
Mr Middleton has also undertaken internationally recgonised specific knee fellowship training in Coventry and Exeter.
- Knee Surgery
- Soft tissue ligament reconstruction
- Sports injuries of the knee
- Arthroscopic surgery of the knee
- Joint replacement, total and partial
- Joint preservation surgery, osteotomy and chondral regeneration
Mr Middleton has three children who all enjoy outdoor activities. He is a keen swimmer and runner and enjoys competing in endurance events.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Simon Middleton at Nuffield Health
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Knee replacement surgery
- Bone Graft
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Matrix-induced chondrocyte implantation (MACI)
- Tibial osteotomy
Mr Middleton has always been involved with quality research and has presented his work at numerous National and International meetings:
- Meniscal allograft transplantation in the paediatric population: early referral is justified.
S Middleton, L Asplin, C Stevenson, P Thompson, T Spalding.
Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2019 Feb 28:1-6.
- The largest survivorship and clinical outcomes study of the fixed bearing Stryker Triathlon Partial Knee Replacement- A multi-surgeon, single centre cohort study with a minimum of 2 years follow up.
S Middleton, P Schranz, V Mandalia, A Toms
The Knee. 2018 Aug 1;25(4):732-6
- Mid term survivorship and clinical outcomes of the Avon Patellofemoral Joint Replacement.
S Middleton, AD Toms, PJ Schranz, VI Mandalia
The Knee. 2018 Mar 1;25(2):323-8.
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome after Total Knee Arthroplasty is Rare and Misdiagnosis Potentially Hazardous– Prospective study of the new diagnostic criteria in 100 patients with no cases identified
J Kosy, S Middleton, B Bradley, R Stroud, J Phillips, AD Toms
The journal of knee surgery, 31(08), pp.797-803.
- Decortication and osteotomy for the correction of multiplanar deformity in femoral mal-union. A case series and technique description.
S. Middleton, R Walker, M. Norton
European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology, 28(1), pp.117-120.
- Day of surgery discharge following unicompartmental knee arthroplasty within the UK National Health System
B Bradley, S Middleton, N Davis, M Williams, D Isaac, M Hockings
Bone Joint J 2017:99-B 788-92
- Allergy in total knee replacement. A review of the facts.
Mr S Middleton, Mr A Toms
Bone Joint J 2016: 98-B 437-41
- The principles of managing open fractures
Mr R Walker, Surg Lt Cdr S Middleton, Surg Cdr S A Stapley
J Royal Naval Medical Service 2014, Vol 100.1
- Intracortical haematogenous osteomyelitis
AJL Jowett, SWF Middleton, MC Quaye, H Chesterfield, I Lasrado, FM Witham
Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2014; 96: e13-e16
- Patient recorded outcome measures in military patients with shoulder instability
S. Middleton, P. Guyver, M. Boyd, M.Brinsden
J R Army Med Corps 2013; 159:4 271-273
- Compartment syndrome of the Foot - Implications for the military surgeon
S. Middleton, JC Clasper
J R Army Med Corps 2010; 156: 241-244
- Is damage control surgery appropriate in vascular trauma in the field?
S.Middleton, M. Midwinter, D.Nott, A.Lambert
JRNMS 2010; 96: 76-82
- Paediatric distal radial fracture manipulation: multicentre analysis of process times
L.Mitchell, E.Archer, S.Middleton, A. Maclean, L.Jones, J.Benger and G.Lloyd
Emerg med J 2009; 26: 41-42
- Muscle injuries
Middleton SWF, Smith JE.
Trauma 2007; 9: 5-11
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Surgery of the Knee
- Combined Services Orthopaedic Society
Other post held
- Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital
Insurers Mr Simon Middleton works with
Mr Simon Middleton works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Simon Middleton does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Simon Middleton does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Simon Middleton does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.