Mr Jon Pleat is a plastic surgeon with a general interest in scarring, burns, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery, but who also carries out cosmetic procedures such as breast reduction and abdominoplasty surgery.
His primary medical training was at Oxford University where he graduated with a First in 1995. Subsequently, he underwent his surgical training in six UK plastic surgery centres, as well as Australia, the United States, Taiwan and South Africa. His DPhil research degree focused on the causes and treatment of scarring which led to a number of awards including The ETRS Young Investigator Medal and the Duke of Kent Research Fellowship.
This interest culminated in his role as Director of Research for the burns and wound healing charity, Restore. He oversees research at Oxford and Bristol Universities, publishes widely and collaborates with scarring groups internationally. He is passionate about the prevention and treatment of scarring and believes in a scientific, holistic, team approach to ameliorating the problem. The Scar Team at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital, The Chesterfield use a number of cutting-edge approaches to skin scarring under his lead.
Jon was one of the founding editors of the national primary care resource, GPNotebook. He is past lead for the Bristol Burns Service within the South West UK network. He is a panel member of the National Burn Care Standards.
He undertook his aesthetic training as the Nagor Fellow in the renowned East Grinstead plastic surgery unit.
- Skin cancer
Jon enjoys competitive sport and music.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Jonathon Pleat at Nuffield Health
- Skin grafts for leg ulcers
- Mole removal
- Body contouring
- Reconstructive surgery
- Breast uplift (mastopexy)
- Ear pinning cosmetic surgery (Pinnaplasty)
- Arm reduction (Brachioplasty)
- Thigh lift
- Breast augmentation (enlargement)
- Mole assessment
- Facial surgery
- Excision of skin lesion
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Reshaping)
- Dermal fillers
- Inverted nipple surgery
- Fat transfer
- Skin cancer surgery
- Breast reduction
- Labial reduction (labiaplasty)
- Trauma reconstruction
- Buttock lift
- Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Jon is a Director of Research for the burns and wound healing charity Restore. In this role, he guides the direction of research for this national charity and oversees the projects of the research fellows. The fellows are based at Oxford University, The University of London, and The University of the West of England.
Current research fields include:
- The psychological outcome from burns and scarring
- Stem cell response to burns
- Skin models to test drugs and therapeutics
- Scar outcome measures
- Global molecular screening for anti-scar treatments
- National scar strategy and resource allocation
Jon has set up collaborations with burn and scar groups around the world and joint projects are currently running with Perth, Antwerp, Shanghai and Galveston, Texas.
Aside from scarring, Jon is a scientific advisor to the Skin Cancer Research Fund (SCaRF) based at North Bristol NHS Trust. He is on the steering panel of the Centre for Appearance Research (CAR) at the UWE. As a means of identifying the researchers of the future, Jon established the Restore national medical student elective award which is run annually
- British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
- British Burns Association
- European Burns Association
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
- Affiliate Member British Association of Hair Restoration Surgery
Other posts held
- Consultant Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Southmead Hospital, North Bristol NHS Trust
- Honorary Consultant, Bristol Royal Infirmary
Insurers Mr Jonathon Pleat works with
Mr Jonathon Pleat works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Jonathon Pleat does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Jonathon Pleat does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Jonathon Pleat does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.