Mr Daniels trained in London, Basingstoke and Oxford and started work in 2006 in Devon. The majority of his practice is specially delivered care in colorectal disease, complications of surgery and reconstruction following intra-abdominal complications and patients with recurrent and/or locally advanced bowel cancer. He also has other interests in academic surgery and co-leads the Exeter Surgical Health Services Research Unit. Through the work that they do, both research and live surgical workshop training he has developed a national and international reputation for abdominal wall reconstructive surgery. He leads a multidisciplinary team that specialises in complex cases and their data is used as part of international registries and published in many fora.
- Locally advanced bowel cancer
- Complex abdominal wall hernia
- Problem stomas
- Recurrent rectal cancer
Outside of work Mr Daniels is Honorary President of the Colostomy Association and has an interest in all things…steam trains! Family time, cooking and gardening all take up his time.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ian Daniels at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Ileal pouch anal anastomosis
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Hernia repair
- Rectal examination under anaesthetic (or rectal EUA)
- Colorectal surgery
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Hernia unilateral
- Anterior resection
Mr Daniels has had over 100 articles (Daniels I in PubMed) and 12 book chapters published, has presented over 250 abstracts at National/International Meetings and is invited faculty at a number of worldwide meetings. He was instrumental in the development of MRI to accurately stage rectal cancer and remains ‘research active’ in rectal cancer through development of surgical techniques (elAPE) and pelvic floor reconstruction. He works extensively with Covidien on their meshes and has some of the world’s largest experience with porcine collagen in abdominal/pelvic hernia reconstruction.
He currently supports an MD student, two research fellows, two UEMS thesis students and a host of junior doctors. He runs live surgery masterclasses for surgeons from across the world in HESRU.
Mr Daniels was awarded a Hunterian Professorship in 2005.
- British Medical Association
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- British Association of Surgical Oncology / Association of Cancer Surgeons
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Royal College of Surgeons England
- British Association of Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition
Other posts held
- Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Ian Daniels works with
Mr Ian Daniels works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Tesco Bank
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Ian Daniels does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ian Daniels does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ian Daniels does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.