Dr Dawkins is a Consultant Cardiologist at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. He has expertise in general cardiology, interventional cardiology and is a specialist in valve intervention, including TAVI and MitraClip. He is one of few interventional cardiologists also accredited in cardiac CT.
He trained in London and Oxford and finished his training by spending two years working at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, which is one of the busiest cardiac centres in the world. He is one of the UK’s most experienced mitral valve operators, with expertise in mitral repair (such as with the MitraClip device) and percutaneous mitral valve replacement. He has a very broad experience in transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), with particular expertise in complex situations, such as patients with previous valve replacement or difficult vascular access.
He is the clinical lead for structural intervention in Oxford, with a busy practice consisting of coronary intervention, TAVI, MitraClip, PFO/ASD closure, left atrial appendage occlusion, closure of paravalvular leaks and cardiac CT. He also regularly trains other cardiologists in these procedures around the world.
His Practice Manager
is Pat Thomas (telephone: 01865 307626 / 07584 618089; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), whose vast
knowledge and expertise ensures a smooth patient experience.
- General cardiology (including ECG, echocardiography, ambulatory monitoring)
- Interventional cardiology (including coronary intervention)
- Structural intervention (including aortic and mitral valve intervention, paravalvular leak closure)
- PFO/ASD closure and left atrial appendage occlusion)
- Cardiac imaging (echocardiography and CT).
Skiing, running, yoga
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Sam Dawkins at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Event monitor
- Assessment of all Aspects of Cardiology
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Mitral valve balloon dilation
- Interventional cardiology
- Coronary Angioplasty (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or PCI)
He studied microRNA release in acute myocardial infarction as part of his DPhil (PhD) at the University of Oxford, analysing patients with ST elevation myocardial infarction to understand the biological response to myocardial infarction and identify new targets for treatment.
Since then his research interest has been in valvular heart disease. He has created the largest single centre database in the USA for patients having percutaneous mitral repair with the MitraClip device, which now contains over 1000 patients. He is currently working with a startup company developing a Bluetooth device to detect valvular heart disease.
He regularly lectures at international conferences, recent presentations include:
MitraClip in patients with cardiogenic shock, MitraClip in patients with failed surgical mitral repair, TAVI in low risk patients, novel devices for left atrial appendage occlusion, cerebral protection for TAVI, vascular access for TAVI and PCI optimisation with coronary physiology and imaging.
- General Medical Council
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- British Society of Cardiovascular CT
Other post held
- John Radcliffe Hospital (Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) Consultant Cardiologist
Insurers Dr Sam Dawkins works with
Dr Sam Dawkins works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Healix Healthcare
Dr Sam Dawkins does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Sam Dawkins does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Sam Dawkins does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.