Dr Safa Al-Shamma graduated from Dundee University with commendation in 2002. He trained in general medicine in Scotland, followed by an intensive care medicine attachment at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London. He then joined the gastroenterology training programme at Mersey Deanery.
Dr Al-Shamma later completed a hepatology and liver transplantation fellowship at The Royal London Hospital and then King’s College Hospital, London. He has worked as a consultant gastroenterologist with a special interest in hepatology at The Royal Bournemouth Hospital since early 2011.
Dr Al-Shamma is currently the clinical lead for the gastroenterology department at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital. Though a general gastroenterologist, Dr Al-Shamma also has a particular expertise in managing all aspects of liver disease. This includes investigation of abnormal liver function tests, management of fatty liver, fibroscanning and work-up for liver transplantation (having set up closer links with the Royal Free Hospital.) Dr Al-Shamma additionally has a particular interest in complex colonoscopy as one of three endoscopists performing advanced and complex colonoscopy procedures at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital.
Finally, Dr Al-Shamma has an active research interest including fatty liver disease.
- Advanced endoscopy and colonoscopy and endoscopy training as training lead
- Abdominal pain, jaundice
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver cirrhosis
- Under and post-graduate teaching including advanced life support
- Question writing for the post-graduate membership exams to the Royal College of Physicians.
Sport and fitness, advanced club squash, travel and trekking including across the Great Wall of China in 2008.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Safa Al-Shamma at Nuffield Health
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Reflux surgery
- GI snapshot of the month. ‘Diarrhoea in an immunosuppressed patient’ GUT 2010
- "Factors determining bone mineral density loss in chronic hepatitis B patients: is tenofovir the main culprit"?
- "Impact of a nurse-led lifestyle clinic on NAFLD outcomes" - poster EUGW09, London
- "Acute kidney injury and hepatorenal syndrome in liver disease: precipitating factors, treatment and outcomes"
- Book chapter on Cancer surveillance in Crohn’s disease and UC - Recent advances in surgery
- "The evaluation of serum ferritin in the diagnosis of haemachromatosis in an ethnically diverse population"
- Royal College of Physicians (Ed)
- Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
- American Association for the Study of Liver
- British Association for the Study of the Liver
- British Society of Gastroenterology
Other post held
- Consultant General Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
- Hepatology The Royal Bournemouth Hospital
- Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital
Insurers Dr Safa Al-Shamma works with
Dr Safa Al-Shamma works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Safa Al-Shamma does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Safa Al-Shamma does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Safa Al-Shamma does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.