Dr Simms was appointed a Consultant Cardiologist in Leeds in 2014 with expertise in the management and care of patients with heart failure, including implantation of biventricular pacing and defibrillator therapy. He is also an integral part of the Regional Leeds inherited cardiovascular conditions service and the Leeds Regional Combined Cardiology and Obstetrics service, with expertise in the management of patients with rare inherited cardiac conditions and women with heart disease in pregnancy.
Dr Simms qualified in Medicine from Leeds in 2002 and completed his MD research from the University of Leeds in 2012. During his specialist training he undertook clinical fellowship posts at The Cardiomyopathy Unit, Heart Hospital, London and The Advanced Heart Failure Unit, Wythenshawe, Manchester.
Dr Simms has published several peer reviewed research articles and remains active in clinical research particularly in heart failure and inherited cardiovascular conditions.
Dr Simms believes strongly in patient choice, partnership and informed decision making.
- Heart Failure
- Inherited Cardiovascular Conditions
- Pacemaker, Biventricular and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator (ICD) implantation and management
- Heart disease in Pregnancy
- General Cardiology
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Alex Simms at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Assessment of all Aspects of Cardiology
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
1. Rashid S, Simms AD, Batin PD, Kurian J, Gale CP. Inequalities in care in patients with acute myocardial infarction. World J Cardiol 2015; 7(12): 895-901. PMID: 26730295
2. Simms AD, Weston CF, West RM, Hall AS, Batin PD, Timmis A, Hemingway H, Fox KAA, Gale CP. Mortality and missed opportunities along the pathway of care for ST-elevation myocardial infarction: A national cohort study. EHJ-ACC 2015; 4(3):241-53. PMID: 25228048
3. Brogan RA, Malkin CJ, Batin PD, Simms AD, Mclenachan JM, Gale CP. Risk Stratification for ST segment elevation myocardial infarction in the era of primary percutaneous coronary intervention. World J Cardiol 2014; 6(8): 865-73. PMID: 25228966
4. Saunderson C, Brogan R, Simms AD, Batin PD, Gale CP. Acute Coronary Syndrome Management in Older Adults: Guidelines, Temporal Changes and Future Challenges. Age & Ageing 2014; 43(4): 450-455. PMID: 24742588
5. Simms AD, Batin PD, Weston CF, Fox KAA, Timmis A, Long WR, Hall AS, Gale CP. An evaluation of composite indicators of hospital acute myocardial infarction care: a study of 136,392 patients from the Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project. Int J Cardiol 2013; 170(1): 81-87. PMID: 24182669
6. Simms AD, Hogarth AJ, Hudson EA, Worsnop VL, Blackman DJ, O’Regan DJ, Tayebjee MH. Ongoing Requirement for Pacing Post Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation and Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement. Intervent Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2013; 17(2): 328-33. Online First April 25, 2013; doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivt175. PMID: 23620339
7. Simms AD, Baxter PD, Cattle BA, Batin PD, Wilson JI, West RM, Hall AS, Weston CF, Deanfield JE, Fox KA, Gale CP. An assessment of composite measures of hospital performance and associated mortality for patients with acute myocardial infarction. Analysis of individual hospital performance and outcome for the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research (NICOR). EHJ-ACC 2013; 2(1): 7-16. Online first: doi:10.1177/2048872612469132. PMID: 24062929
8. Gale CP, Cattle BA, Baxter PD, Greenwood DC, Simms AD, Deanfield J, Fox KAA, Hall As, West RM. Age-dependent inequalities in improvements in mortality occur early after acute myocardial infarction in 478,242 patients in the Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project (MINAP) registry. International Journal of Cardiology. Int J Cardiol 2012. Online first: doi 10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.10.023. PMID: 23177996
9. Simms AD, Reynolds S, Pieper K, Baxter PD, Cattle BA, Batin PD, Wilson JI, Deanfield JE, West RM, Fox KA, Hall AS, Gale CP. Evaluation of the NICE mini-GRACE risk scores for acute myocardial infarction using the Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project (MINAP) 2003-2009: National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research (NICOR). Heart 2012; 99(1): 35-40. Online first: doi
10.1136/heartjnl-2012-302632. PMID: 23002253 10. Simms AD, Batin PD, Kurian J, Durham N, Gale CP. Acute coronary syndromes: an old age problem. J Geriatr Cardiol 2012; 9(2):192-196. PMID: 22934104
11. Gale CP, Cattle BA, Woolston A, Baxter PD, West TH, Simms AD, Blaxill J, Greenwood DC, Fox KAA, West RM. Resolving inequalities in care? Reduced mortality in the elderly after acute coronary syndromes. The Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project 2003-2010. Eur Heart J 2012; 33(5): 630-639. PMID: 22009446
12. Jamil HA, Sandoe JA, Gascoyne-Binzi D, Chalker VJ, Simms AD, Munsch CM, Baig MW. Late-onset prosthetic valve endocarditis caused by Mycoplasma hominis, diagnosed using broad-range bacterial PCR. J Med Microbiol 2012;61(Pt 2):300-301. PMID: 21997872
13. Gale CP, Cattle BA, Simms AD, Greenwood DC, West RM. Predicting freedom from clinical events in non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes. Heart 2009;95(16):1355-1356. PMID: 19638514
14. Gale CP, Simms AD, Cattle BA, Greenwood D, West RM. Point of care testing in acute coronary syndromes: when and how? Heart 2009;95(14):1128-1129. PMID: 19403514
Other post held
- Consultant Cardiologist at the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Lead clinician for the Leeds Heart Failure Service
Insurers Dr Alex Simms works with
Dr Alex Simms works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Healix Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Alex Simms does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Alex Simms does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Alex Simms does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.